Nuvance Health is currently seeking Pharmacy Technicians to join their team!
Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut. Nuvance Health combines highly skilled physicians, state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and compassionate caregivers dedicated to providing quality care across a variety of clinical areas, including Cardiovascular, Neurosciences, Oncology, Orthopedics, and Primary Care.
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Under direction of the Director of Pharmacy, the pharmacy technician assist in the preparation and distribution of medications, maintains drug inventory, and patient records. Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in providing safe and effective medication management for the patients at Vassar Brothers Medical Center (VBMC).
- Obtains right drug, in right dose, and in right quantity, as stated on medication label
- Prepares medication in time for next delivery; or immediately if a STAT order as per policy
- Organizes medications to be checked by the pharmacist on duty and delivered at time of next round
- Ensures barcodes are visible, and affixes barcodes when necessary
- Assists pharmacists in the overall operation of the IV room
- Prepares & labels IV medications, when necessary
- Follows department policies for preparation of I.V. products using aseptic technique and proper procedure for hand-washing and cleanliness
- Medication delivery to all areas of VBMC, and offsite locations
- Removes medications from patient care areas (i.e. discharged patients)
- Refills Pyxis® med stations
- Restocks IV room and clean room with appropriate medication and supplies
- Documents refrigerator temperatures & outcome of any refrigerators previously out of bounds
- Retrieves pharmacy returns and return to stock upon return to pharmacy
- Replaces damaged, or missing Pyxis® cubies
- Repairs failed Pyxis® pockets and drawers
- Labels all outgoing medications with appropriate auxiliary labels in accordance with current pharmacy policies (i.e. Look Alike Sound Alike, High Alert, Hazardous, etc…)
- Performs basic Pyxis® functions including loading and unloading medications, print basic reports, and troubleshooting
- Triages incoming telephone calls and pharmacy window inquiries, and transfer medication-related questions to pharmacist, when appropriate
- Affixes labels so that all applicable information including drug name, strength, solution, date of preparation, and expiration are visible
- Disposes properly of sharps and bio-hazardous waste in accordance with hospital policy
- Maintains narcotics in stock and places orders when necessary
- Analyzes all controlled substances sheets for discrepancies or incompleteness and sends notification to respective nursing unit managers
- Assists in the needs of the department on a daily basis including schedule adjustments and ad-hoc projects
- Drugs returned from nursing units are placed back into main stock daily
- Assists in the maintenance of proper stock for the department by documenting/communicating low stock items
- Maintains CII Safe Reports as per policy
- Returns all narcotics to the CII Safe as per policy
- Immediately reports all controlled discrepancies to pharmacy management
- Delivers controlled substances to nursing units
- Files all controlled substance forms in the appropriate place, as per department policy
- Prepares Narcotic IV products when necessary
- Completes nursing units inspections in an accurate and timely manner, when assigned
- Anticipates work flow to accommodate peak periods and slack periods
- Works cooperatively with all staff
- Demonstrates sound judgment consistent with training / academic background
- Fosters a team environment.
- Maintains efforts to improve patient satisfaction, lower costs, and improve quality within the department
- Promotes and contributes positively to intra-departmental and inter-departmental relationships with no more than two complaints in a six-month period
- Communicates clearly, concisely and courteously, both in person and over the phone, with department co-workers and employees of other departments
- 1+ years of experience in hospital pharmacy or related job preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) after 1 year of employment
- Physical: Moderate physical activity (standing for long periods of time).
- Mental: Excellent communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with management and staff
Indeed Hire and Nuvance Health are working together to find the best candidate for this job.
By applying, you agree to be contacted by our agent, Indeed Hire, and receive updates via text and phone about your application.
Job Type: Full-time
- hospital pharmacy: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) (Preferred)
- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601: Between 31 and 40 miles (Preferred)