Phoenix Public Library serves a diverse clientele of over 4.8 million people, with a central library and 16 branches. The library offers collections in multiple languages, a full range of cutting edge electronic resources and customer focused public services. Library Assistants provide highly skilled direct public information service or service support. They may conduct a children's story time or teen programming, help students with college and financial aid forms, teach basic computer or workforce readiness classes, assist with library collection maintenance, or work in the community to promote reading, higher education and library services. They work independently under the general supervision of a Librarian or Branch Manager. The ideal candidate must be able to multi-task, resolve problems and work with a diverse customer base in a fast paced environment.
The Library Department is currently hiring a regular part-time position. However, this list may also be used to fill temporary grant-funded part-time positions promoting early literacy with young children (First Things First); temporary grant-funded positions that assist with workforce programs, resumes and online job applications; and other regular part-time positions that become authorized to fill over the life of the recruitment.
Recruitment closes October 29, 2018. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
$16.75 hourly. This position is classified as part-time and does not include benefits.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS –
- A bachelor’s degree in a program that imparts a broad liberal education.
- Working irregular hours, second and/or third shifts, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
- May require the use of personal vehicle. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicle safety, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for city business will prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
- The City job description can be found here
The job requirements listed above, plus:
HOW TO APPLY
- Ability to communicate in Spanish highly desirable
- Ability to communicate well and work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and have a positive attitude.
- Proficiency in computer programs such as MS Office.
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills.
- Experience teaching or presenting programs to the public, especially young children.
- Experience working with children and teens, especially young children birth to age five.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document
, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT
. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Library Assistant, Job Code #30200, ID #28899, 10/1/2018, 3 mos, CP, no benefits, Q
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.