Candlewick Press seeks a detail-oriented and experienced copyeditor/proofreader to join our talented team.
The copyeditor/proofreader role will encompass all titles, fiction and nonfiction, from board and picture books to young adult novels, as well as marketing and presentation materials. Responsibilities will include copyediting and proofreading a high volume of books and marketing materials; working closely with editorial services staff, designers, production staff, and editors; helping maintain our brand voice with consistent application of style guide direction; and providing feedback to freelance copyeditors and proofreaders.
The ideal candidate for this role will possess the following experience and skills:
- Minimum of six years of copyediting (both electronic and hard copy) and proofreading experience in trade fiction required. - Experience with nonfiction preferred and picture book experience a plus.
- A strong command of the Chicago Manual of Style and Words into Type, as well as the ability to respect authors' voices.
- Strong familiarity with typesetting terminology and all aspects of book and page makeup.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thrive and produce in a fast-paced environment and to work independently and expeditiously.
- Solid proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat applications
- Spanish-language proficiency highly preferred.
- Experience managing projects and workflow preferable.
While staff are currently working remotely due to COVID, this will eventually be an in-house position based in our Somerville, MA office. A comprehensive benefits package is offered including medical, dental, life and ltd insurance; flex spending and 401k plans, voluntary benefits, generous paid time off and much more! If you wish to be considered for this opportunity, please forward a resume and cover letter, including your salary expectations for this position, in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org .
submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Copyeditor/Proofreader"