Equipment & Design Automation Engineer (Process Engineer, Level 3)
St George, UT USA
Area of activity
Engineering and R&D Director
Manufacturing and R&D Team
Process Scientists, Quality team, Maintenance team, R&D team, EH&S Coordinator, Logistics team, Process Technician
Summary of the Role / Purpose of the Job
Describe the reasons that justify the existence of the position. List the main areas of intervention.
Responsible for updating and improving process control systems both in our production and R&D areas. Working with equipment design and process engineers, this person will design and improve control systems of automated processes with the aim of making processes robust, repeatable and low-maintenance.
Responsible for designing and implementing manufacturing processes, equipment, and plants (from pilot to fully operational) to achieve the production goals of the organization. Identifies and develops processes and equipment needed to produce specific products, parts, and components. Strong knowledge of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. May lead and direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
What are the required qualifications to effectively occupy this function?
Note: We want to know the required qualifications and not those of the incumbent
Level of education
- BS or MS degree in engineering or physical science
Number of years of experience
Meets education requirement plus 6 years additional experience
Field of expertise and/or area of activity
- Manufacturing operations
- Semiconductor processing
- Cleanroom environment
What are the skills required to excel in this position?
Specific knowledge – e.g. must have an excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, proficiency in English both oral and written, etc.
- Strong knowledge of process engineering methods
- Knowledge of chemical and/or wafer fabrication processes an asset
- Knowledge and awareness of the principles and methods of occupational health and safety and industrial hygiene
- Good written and spoken English an asset
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Strong knowledge of mathematical calculations
- Good communication/interpersonal skills
Six Sigma belt desirable
Internal OHS training
General skills – e.g. manual skills: dexterity, rapidity, etc. – intellectual skills: analytical skills, decision-making skills, etc.
- Ability to work in a controlled environment
- Very good manual skills and capacity to handle loads of up to 25 kg
- Meticulous task execution
- Thoroughness when required
- Engineering and problem-solving skills, e.g. mathematical modeling, programming, root-cause analysis, process design
Behavioural skills – e.g. integrity, leadership, patience and dynamism, etc.
- Demonstrates initiative.
- Good team spirit and a sense of cooperation, is coachable.
- Behaviour conducive to interaction in a multicultural setting.
- Ownership and urgency.
- Aligned with the company vision and shared values.
Areas of Activity:
% of time
Describe clearly and concisely, and in order of importance, the main and routine tasks accomplished by specifying the percentage of time spent on each of them on an annual basis. A limited number of 10 statements is suggested.
General production 80%
- Reduces variation in manufacturing.
- Reduces per unit manufacturing costs year over year.
- Designs new manufacturing processes.
- Leads the team in conducting potential failure modes and effects analysis.
- Runs continuous improvement projects.
- Documents production using computer databases.
- Ingot/Wafer fabrication processing.
- Conducts root-cause analysis to reduce manufacturing defect rate.
- Trains technicians.
- Applies safety rules and safe work methods.
- Responds to non-compliant methods and work accidents in real time, and immediately reports incidents to the Plant Manager and to the EHS Manager.
- Ensures control of manufacturing process at all times by developing and implementing engineering and managerial controls.
- Develops product quality assurance processes and controls.
- Runs projects to improve manufacturing repeatability.
Leadership and Management:
(for leaders and managers)
KPI’s and Performance
KPI – Performance is satisfactory when:
- Production is on schedule.
- Manufacturing yield is high and trending upward.
- Cost is being reduced year over year.
- Products comply with the specifications provided.
- Occupational health and safety procedures are followed.
Strategy and Continuous Improvement
-Must demonstrate good understanding of the strategy and how their work moves the ball forward.
In a general manner, report only specific facts. Use action verbs such as:
Prepare Decide Execute Control Participate Elaborate
Suggest Study Coordinate Set Design
Main Difficulties and Challenges Related to this Job
Identify the main difficulties and challenges related to this job. These are facts that will help to understand and assess the problems of the job.
The principal challenges of this position are:
- Applying best practices to improving quality and production outcomes.
- Reducing costs year over year.
- Meeting production and OHS objectives daily despite unforeseen circumstances.
- Demonstrating the 5N Plus Semiconductors shared values:
Know the Vision & Strategy Know your role in the Strategy: One Vision, One Strategy, One Team / Be Proactive, Deliberate & Compliant with Environmental, Health & Safety / Demonstrate Ownership, Commitment, Integrity & Urgency / Create a spirit of Camaraderie, Professionalism, Respect & Collaboration / Share Lessons and Learning through Open & Honest Communication / Manage your Work-Life Balance / Have Fun & Celebrate Successes
Freedom of Action
Describe the level of autonomy, the nature and frequency of controls made by the immediate supervisor on the completion of your tasks.
- Reports to Engineering and R&D Director.
- High degree of autonomy. Manages own task list and hours.
- Applies judgement and technical know-how in problem-solving.
Impact on Results
What influence does the position have on the final results of your site / service?
- Impact on product quality if established procedures are not followed.
- Meeting production objectives.
Provide any quantitative data relevant to a good understanding of the position (e.g. operation of the service budget, revenues, investments, other relevant figures)
This position does not call for any budget management.
Specific Conditions of Work:
Briefly describe the particularities of the workplace, the physical exertion, the level of attention and concentration and the level of tension (intensity, duration, frequency)
- Carry out repetitive routine work that is physically demanding.
- A cleanroom gown, hood, and booties are required when working in the cleanroom.
- Wear PPE (heavy or light, depending on department) because of potential exposure to dangerous metals.
- Varies own schedule as needed to accomplish the work.
5N Plus Semiconductors employee benefits include vacation, 401k, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, life insurance, short term disability insurance, etc.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $85,000.00 /year