Why Join Us?
At 2U, Inc., we share a common belief that education can change lives. So when you work for 2U, you become a part of that. A team whose guiding principles are comprised of striving for excellence, having fun, being bold and fearless, and cherishing each opportunity. Want to head into work knowing you're part of a purpose-driven company and your hard work has an impact on lives? Join us.
2U's internship program, the 2ternship, has been a critical part of 2U's growth since the inception of the company. Many individuals, including some executive leaders, started their careers as 2terns and continue their tenure today here at 2U.
A 2ternship allows students to build skill sets in their area of interest, gain real world business experience and receive ongoing feedback to maximize their professional development. 2terns experience this all while being a part of a diverse and inclusive organization that is working towards one common mission - making education more accessible and global.
This is a part-time (15-20 hours a week), spring (January 27 - April 24) paid internship which will expose you to the world of EdTech.
As 2U grows, we aim to continue attracting top talent to this program. Check out #LifeAt2U on Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/lifeat2u/ ) and Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Lifeat2U ) to see what our culture is like and more of what our 2terns experience on a daily basis.
Instructional Design Team
The Instructional Systems Design (ISD) Team is an integral part of 2U's overall Learning & Development (L&D) function within the Human Resources department. The ISD Intern will be responsible for collaborating with HR leadership, and 2U Training Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), ISD team peers, and L&D Facilitators. The ISD Intern is responsible for architecting company-wide digital training curricula as well as graphic design assets (Logos, Infographics, Reference Guides, etc.) for 2U's Human Resources (HR) Leadership team. They will provide learning administrative and curriculum development support for large-scale, multi-day Orientation curriculums and individual training deliverables. In a matrix organization, the ISD Intern will apply a basic understanding of ADDIE, a core Instructional Design Methodology, to ensure every learning solution implemented across the organization is customized for adult learners. The ISD Intern will work closely with the ISD team & LMS Coordinator to complete training product quality assurance (QA) reviews, learning campaign deployments within an Enterprise Learning Management System (LMS), and learning technology vendor evaluations.
Role and Responsibilities:
Things that should be in your background:
- Analysis Phase: Develops and revises new training product templates and training resources for Sponsors & SMEs. (10%)
- Design Phase: Collaborates with Sponsors and SMEs by displaying a sense of confidence and competence throughout the formal 2U ISD Curriculum Development process. Specific Sponsor/SME collaboration tasks include, but are not limited to: 1) assisting Sponsors & SMEs with training content outline design, 2) managing draft training deliverable SME reviews, and 3) partnering with L&D Facilitation team to ensure Leadership Development curricula incorporates adult learning best practices. (20%)
- Development Phase: Utilizes instructional technologies such as Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Dropbox, Snag It, Adobe Captivate, Articulate, and Camtasia to develop and training templates to build a variety of custom-built, high-graphic multimedia learning solutions. Includes and is not limited to: 1) Facilitator Guides, 2) Participant Guides, 3) Instructor-Led/Virtual-Led (ILT/VLT) Training Presentations, 4) Microlearning Videos, 5) Webinars, 6) and Job Aids. Adheres to internal ISD team Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Manual by consistently aligning all training products to the 2U Corporate Brand Guidelines. Works with ISD Team project manager to assign SME review tasks in Aha!, a robust online project management tool. (50%)
- Implementation Phase: Serves as peer Quality Assurance (QA) reviewer to identify course improvements and share recommendations with other Instructional Systems Designers prior to deployment. Conducts LMS testing for digital media and e-learning modules training deliverables and communicates necessary updates with LMS Coordinator. (5%)
- Evaluation Phase: Writes learner evaluations and assessments using Kirkpatrick 5 Levels of Evaluation Model. Administers Levels 1 and 2 evaluation tools to: 1) collect feedback and 2) measure learner comprehension. (15%)
- Bachelor's degree and proof of current enrollment in a Graduate degree program in Instructional System Design is required. Graduate degree programs could include: Instructional Technology, Corporate Training, Adult Education, or a similar degree (excludes K-12 or Higher Ed).
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design methodology & principles as well as e-learning course development best practices.
- Demonstrated capability and experience managing individual training deliverables and applying effective project management skills.
- Beginner knowledge of Storyline, Captivate, Camtasia, Web-conferencing tools (Google Meet, Adobe Connect, Zoom), and other e-learning authoring tools.
- Beginner knowledge of graphic design tools (i.e. Adobe Creative Cloud, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Beginner knowledge of Learning Management Systems, Document Management Systems, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to research and understand technical documents
- Focus on achieving defined results, by being detail-oriented and exceeding goals and objectives
- Ability to multitask, switch priorities, collaborate with colleagues and be flexible
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ:
- At least 1 year of corporate work experience and 1 -2 years of training or education work experience.
- A passion for changing lives through high quality education
- Strong knowledge of web applications and basic software
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse team
- Ability to thrive in an environment of change while constantly adapting and evolving with our organization
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it's our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It's Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that's both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans' status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U's equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.