Windows Systems Engineer
6 + months
Seeking a highly motivated Windows Systems Engineer to join the System Services Team. As a team member, the candidate will be challenged to use his/her excellent troubleshooting skills on a variety of technical issues. He/She will be responsible for assisting with maintenance and monitoring of over 1,500 Windows servers distributed across the globe. This person will be required to use exceptional communication skills to interact with geographically distributed teams of varying knowledge levels, while collaborating on incidents and projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Split time approximately 60:40 between project based work and support based work; split may change depending on workload.
- Strong Windows Server administration experience in an enterprise environment.
- Devise and automate procedures for provisioning new system instances.
- Implement and lead continuous integration, automated testing, configuration management, release management, deployment, cloud hosting and systems monitoring.
- SCCM and Server experience are key for this position
- Support incoming server incident and request tickets in a distributed high volume environment.
- Rack, configure, decommission, and deploy OS for physical servers in co-located and local datacenters.
- Administer and troubleshoot OS-level issues in a VM environment, as well as hardware problems on physical servers (Dell, Cisco).
- Manage Print Server queues, drivers, and DR. Manage and respond to daily alerts from monitoring systems (SCOM, xMatters).
- Patch deployments to 1,400+ Windows Servers during predetermined outage windows; software, driver, and firmware deployment and configuration.
- Detail documentation of any changes to the environment, as well as develop new documentation for existing systems. Adhere to existing data center/colocation installation best practices, while providing input on site-specific best practices as necessary.
- Communicate proposed changes and improvements to ensure optimal performance and reliability. Work weekends or evening hours within set maintenance schedules, including on-call rotation. Travel occasionally to colocation facilities and remote office locations as needed.
- Work on other ad hoc duties as assigned.
Skills & experience required:
- 5+ years of relevant, hands-on experience supporting Windows Server 2012/2008 (R2) in an Enterprise Environment. Expertise with scripting languages such as Powershell, VB Scripting, etc is required.
- Expertise with Microsoft System Center (Configuration Manager & Orchestrator).
- SCCM and Servers exp are key
- Experience with server management tools such as MS System Center (preferred), Altiris, or similar. Experience managing an automated patching of Windows Servers with SCCM (preferred), Lumension, or a similar tool.
- Thorough understanding of working principles, and experience supporting Active Directory, Group Policy, Microsoft DNS, IIS, Virtualization (Hyper-V or VMware), Symantec Endpoint Protection (or similar enterprise AV).
- Excellent troubleshooting skills with a scientific approach to problem investigation and resolution. Strong understanding of generally accepted system administration methodologies, tools, and techniques, and desire to instill these practices in both individual and teammates’ work. In-depth understanding of common protocols such as DNS, DHCP, SMTP.
- Good written documentation skills and demonstrable experience of documenting systems and procedures.
- Experience with and wiliness to follow a strict change management and incident tracking process. Experience with monitoring systems such as SCOM, WhatsUpGold, NetScout, HP NMS, Syslog, or others.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to interact with users of varying technical skill levels.
- Ability to work independently and without the need for supervision, as well as collaboratively within the team and across various IT groups and business units.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or equivalent work experience.
- In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience with:
- Automation frameworks (PowerShell DSC/ Chef/Puppet). Strong automation and scripting skills. Windows Clustering including application clustering (e.g, SQL, IIS. Exchange etc.). Patch Management tools. Server hardening experience is a plus. Familiar with ITIL framework. Altiris Incident/Change Management. Good understanding of Networks and protocols. Cisco UCS.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $45.00 to $50.00 /hour
- SCCM: 5 years
- Windows Systems Engineer: 5 years
- Powershell Scripting: 5 years
- Microsoft Systems Center: 5 years
Required work authorization: