Come work for one of the top-ranked liberal arts college and enjoy being an important team player in the implementation of our new student information system! Work alongside a close-knit team of amazing IT professionals with a great reputation and even better sense of humor!
Pitzer College is a member of the prestigious consortium of The Claremont Colleges. The Office of Information Technology seeks an experienced professional for the position of Project Programmer. This is a project-based, full-time, staff position to support the Office of the Registrar for the implementation of the Student Information System (SIS). The ideal candidate is experienced in developing and maintaining dynamic, complex applications and Web sites. The anticipated duration of this position is through approximately June 30, 2020, with a possibility of an additional year renewal.
Department IT App Support
Reports To Applications Support Manager
Full-Time or Part-Time Full Time
Hours Per Week 40
Regular or Temporary Temporary
Number Of Months Through approximately 6/30/20, with a possibility of a third-year renewal
Work Schedule The regular hours for this position are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. These hours may vary due to needs of the College or department.
Position Start Date
Position End Date
Position Summary Information
1. Develop and support applications to automate and improve business processes used by the Office of the Registrar.
2. Assist with development of automated testing tools.
3. Assists with Web programming, implementation and application support. Assists in ensuring the successful and secure use of all Web applications.
4. Provide programming, installation, development and support for the Pitzer Student Portal; including roll out, testing, updates, training, documentation, etc.
5. Work with Technical Services staff to build, deploy, and maintain servers for the Web portals and Report.net, among other applications.
6. Install and integrate Web and portal applications from third parties.
7. As needed, assist functional users in developing, writing, modifying, scheduling and publishing Cognos reports.
8. Assist in developing and conducting training, and create documentation as needed.
9. Serves as a member of the Pitzer Applications Support Team and various consortium CX support committees.
10. Develop solutions using Web Services
11. Performs other duties as assigned, including backup support for members of the Office of Information Technology.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No.
WORK HOURS: The regular hours for this position are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. These hours may vary due to needs of the College or department.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Knowledge of SQL and T-SQL, database design, and experience with a standard database server such as Informix or MS SQL.
3. Ability to learn new programming languages and environments.
4. Competence with database backed web applications, such as Portal Software.
5. Working knowledge of UNIX and networking basics (DNS, ip tools).
6. Ability to gather user requirements and develop technical solutions.
7. Ability to instruct others, both individually and in a group setting.
8. Ability to interact productively and collaboratively with a diverse campus population.
9. Ability to prioritize, plan work activities to use time efficiently while satisfying deadlines and expectations.
10. Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action, including collaborating with staff to recommend and implement solutions.
11. Provide technical support for the development and maintenance of the Student Information System.
12. Provide high-quality customer service.
13. Speak and write English clearly and persuasively with attention to detail and the needs of the target audience. Demonstrate group presentation and training skills.
Required Level and/or Type of Education
Must have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field, or the equivalent in education and experience.
Required Years and Type of Experience
Minimum of two years of relevant experience. Preference given to candidates who have work experience in development, production and maintenance of dynamic, complex, multi-user applications and Web sites.
Preference will be given for Web-programming backgrounds, experience with Perl, .Net technologies, HTML, XML, automated regression testing, data warehouse principles, Perceptive Data Transfer, Informix, Jenzabar CX, Cognos, portal software such as Uportal, or Jenzabar.com.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in an office setting with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Work involves interaction with employees, student and/or the public in person, by telephone and by computer. May occasionally work outdoors for events and activities.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is generally a sedentary position. Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to operate a computer for prolonged periods of time. Mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment.
Supervisory Responsibility No
Rate of Pay We offer a competitive hourly rate, commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
Benefits Eligible? Yes