Electrical Engineer (Battery Test Eng.)
Saft Space and Defense
Cockeysville, MD facility
US Citizens and Green Card Holders
Saft is an international company specializing in advanced battery systems for industrial, aerospace, and defense applications. This role is in Saft’s Space and Defense Division, where we develop cutting edge electrochemistry, electronics, mechanical systems and software for the most advanced battery systems used in satellites, defense, and high performance automotive. This division’s products are powering the GOES-R series of weather satellites, providing load leveling for directed energy weapons at 1 kV and 400A RMS and powering the most advanced hybrid vehicles on the planet in Formula 1 racing.
This is a multi-discipline position that will involve electrical design, mechanical design, software, and process creation. Approximately 50% of your time will be spent working hands-on conducting product tests, supporting test equipment, cable builds and performing setup validations.
- Lead the demonstration of product integrity through foundational, functional and environmental testing.
- Design test protocols in accordance with customer requirements for qualification, protoflight and acceptance levels.
- Develop and maintain compliance matrices against customer requirements providing clear traceability that all required specifications have been tested.
- Design, manufacture and validate:
o test equipment to enable the successful completion of required tests
o data acquisition instrumentation to record product behavior during test
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Validate test configurations to ensure test will be conducted in the desired manner.
- Develop test plans and test documentation providing instruction and data recording to direct the execution of the test.
- Source outside equipment and/or facilities to enable the successful completion of required tests.
- Execute defined tests per prescribed procedures.
- Review collected data and validate conformance against the expected result.
- Troubleshoot non-conformances to determine root cause of failure or test anomaly.
- Participate in design and readiness reviews PDR, CDR, MRR, TRR with customers. Must be able to clearly articulate the test methodology and test protocols to be executed.
- BS in Technical discipline, computer science, and/or evidence of exceptional experience.
- At least two years of experience in a manufacturing or test environment.
- Skilled in data analysis using various software tools (eg: Excel, Diadem, VBA/Excel Macros) to measure and manage performance of systems under test.
- Ability to interpret product engineering specifications and prints.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques.
- Working knowledge of FMEA, Control Plan and SPC approach for risk mitigation.
- Practical application in PDCA and DMAIC team-based problem solving.
- Must be available via phone for 24/7 plant support.
- Candidates should:
a. be self-starters with curiosity about processes/products
b. enjoy diving into problems
c. have a strong sense of team and ability to bridge cross functional groups to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience with the operation of charge / discharge cyclers, environmental chambers, vibration and shock testing is desirable but nor required.
- Basic understanding of electronics, mechanical assembly, process mapping, logic trees, and systems interactions is desirable.
- Attention to detail, good written and verbal communication, and troubleshooting skills are desirable.