Do you enjoy leading others to their moments of Agile insight? Has your mind broken free of 'can't do' thinking? If you answered YES to both of these questions, you should consider applying for Bellevue University’s Scrum Master / Agile Coach position.
Bellevue University is seeking a new Scrum Master / Agile Coach who will help us coach and mature our pilot Agile delivery team (Scrum & Kanban) and develop our Agile practices. Due to our fast pace and small scale, we’re looking for an energetic, “can do” person to jump right in and help us succeed. In future, we may move towards scaling the methodology, so we’re looking for a person who can set the proper foundation and grow with us!
The ideal coach will be a consultative individual who utilizes strong facilitation, servant leadership, Agile thinking and Scrum/Kanban processes to support the launch of Bellevue University’s Agile pilot. The coach will also work with senior leadership to increase team effectiveness and implement Agile principles. The candidate should have an extensive track record of introducing best practices, overcoming challenges and ensuring that the team has all necessary skills to make them successful.
The role will also serve as the Scrum Master for our Agile pilot team with primary responsibility of facilitating the learning and growth of the team in developing a lean-Agile mindset and improving practices and guiding them to more predictable delivery. In this role, you will be responsible for coaching the team on scrum practices to ensure benefit from and adherence to core agile principles is achieved. Candidates need to be able to take a pragmatic approach in coaching the teams with the ability to adapt based on the agile 'readiness' of the team they are working with. The Scrum Master plays a role in facilitating Agile ceremonies and planning of releases, removing impediments, providing guidance, and supporting Agile teams.
You will succeed in this position if you are good at:
- Demonstrating comfort with ambiguity – no two days are alike in this role!
- Establishing relationships and building credibility across all levels of the organization
- Working with your peers to maintain a network of communication
- Facilitating cross-functional working sessions with various management levels
- Observing Agile in action and coaching other Agilists to improve their skills
- Translating conceptual thoughts into understandable action plans
- Pragmatically applying Agile concepts in alignment with an organization’s goals, needs, and readiness
- Resolving conflicts and removing impediments
Backlog Management Practices
- Works with Product Owner(s) and team members to learn and practice healthy backlog management and prioritization practices
- Able to assist the Product Owner(s) with backlog management and grooming if necessary
- Facilitates the execution and improvement of backlog refinement
- Prepares for and facilitates release planning with teams
- Assists in dependency management and cross team coordination
Facilitation and Training
- Facilitates continuous improvement and the development of a learning culture on teams
- Facilitates ceremonies, collaboration, communication, and conflict management
- Teaches new team members and stakeholders Agile mindset and frameworks, practices, and process
- Influences the organization in the removal of organizational impediments and development of healthy Agile practices
- Mentors Product Owner(s) and team members in agile practices and continuous improvement
Delivery Team Support
- Removes impediments to the team’s ability to perform
- Acts as a buffer between external distractions to minimize disruptions
- Assists in the coordination of operational issue resolution
- Facilitates team development, mediates conflicts and encourages healthy team dynamics.
- Fosters team responsibility, self-accountability, transparency and self-organization
- Leverages coaching skills to help the team learn to solve its own problems
- Ensure Agile metrics are being tracked, monitor them for indications of potential problems, and assist teams to implement solutions to those problems.
- Facilitate team breakout sessions with an eye on process and related best practices
Coaching and Guidance
- Introduces and encourages healthy Agile development practices, focus on quality and technical excellence, predictable delivery, automation, and continuous delivery
- Teaches and encourages a balanced backlog that delivers valuable features for customers, reduces technical debt, provides business value, and enables product sustainability
- Helps the team to develop, capture, and analyze metrics to facilitate team improvements
- Promotes transparency through healthy communications and data integrity
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Management, Business, Leadership, or other related field Agile certifications Working experience in Project Delivery roles (using Agile and Traditional methods)
- Agile coaching experience with teams that are new to Agile practices
- Scrum Master experience utilizing a variety of methods including Scrum, XP, and Kanban
- Working experience with Agile scaling frameworks, preferably SAFe. SAFe SA or SPC certifications a plus
- Deep knowledge of Agile principles and practices
- World-class facilitation and communication skills
- Candidates need to be able to take a pragmatic approach in coaching the teams with the ability to adapt based on the agile 'readiness' of the team they are working with
- Prefer some background with DevOps and technical practices
- Scrum Master certification or equivalent certified professional
Job Type: Full-time
- Agile Coach: 2 years (Required)