As a licensed dentist, a general dentist provides general dentistry services, including the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures.
Duties and Responsibilities
Perform General dentistry services, including the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures.
- Examine patients to determine the nature of the condition affecting the patient, utilizing x-rays, dental instruments and other diagnostic procedures.
- Clean, fill, extract and replace teeth, using rotary and hand instruments, dental appliances, medications and surgical implements.
- Provide preventive dental services and education in oral and dental hygiene.
- Coordinate laboratory services for the dental office.
- Adheres to safety protocols and processes including but not limited to ensuring protective equipment is utilized and OSHA/Bloodborne pathogen requirements are followed.
- Participate in morning huddles, chart reviews and routine office meetings.
- All other duties and responsibilities allowed under applicable state laws and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Commitment to quality patient care and enjoy educating patients on dental health.
Effective communication skills; demonstrates professional and courteous demeanor with patients.
Qualifications (Experience, Education, Licensure, Certification)
DDS or DMD degree, licensed in state in which practicing or have the ability to obtain licensure upon graduation.
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
Completion of a general practice residency (GPR) or advanced education general dentistry residency (AEGD) preferred.
General Dentists work in areas that are highly visible and designed and furnished to make a good impression. Most work stations are clean, well-lighted, and relatively quiet.