The City of Phoenix Water Services Department is hiring trainees for their Operations and Maintenance Technician positions. Trainees go through a 12-month program to learn environmental stewardship, regulatory compliance, and generalized theory associated with the operations and maintenance of the City’s water and wastewater treatment plants and remote facilities. Training occurs in on-the-job and classroom settings. Upon successful completion of the 12-month training program, trainees promote to the position of Operations and Maintenance Technician.
First review of applications will occur the week of October 15, 2018. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$16.01 - $20.71 hourly / $33,301 - $43,077 annually for trainee classification.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA plan; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Unit 2 Benefits
- The ability to learn, in English, the treatment, collection, and distribution practices and procedures; and read, write, follow oral instructions, and perform math calculations.
HOW TO APPLY
- This is a 24-hour per day, 7-day per week operation. Employees are required to work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Working outside in a variety of environmental extremes such as heat, cold, rain, air pollution, untreated water and wastewater and dust to operate and maintain pumps, basins, feed systems, etc.
- Maintain Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) certification through refresher training and physical examination as a condition of continued employment.
- Acquisition of an Arizona Department of Environmental Quality grade 1-operator certification in the appropriate discipline by the end of the 12-month Trainee period.
- Ability to use common hand tools to repair and maintain mechanical equipment.
- Maintain an acceptable attendance record.
- The City job description can be found here.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document
, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT
. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
O&M Tech Trainee, Job Code 50360, ID #28910, 10/1/18, VG, 6m, Benefits: Unit 2, Q
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.