VCI is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business providing project management, construction management, and engineering services to public and private clients world-wide. See www.valiint.com for more information.
This position is to provide Construction Management services to assist the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Construction and Facilities Management's (CFM) Contracting Officer (CO), Senior Resident Engineer (SRE/ACO) and Project Manager (PM) in monitoring the construction Contractor’s work effort for compliance with contract requirements.
This job is located on-site at Pikes Peak National Cemetery for one (1) year.
- Conducts and carries out portions of daily inspections of site work, building construction work; documents discrepancies, code violations, improper materials or techniques in the application of materials, substandard or poor-quality workmanship; monitors schedules on various aspects of ongoing daily activities to identify and mitigate project slippage and coordinate project phasing.
- Reviews contractor's submittals and RFIs; maintains accurate and complete job files including as-built drawings and specifications; identifies progress delays and recommends appropriate corrective measures to the SRE toward mitigating delays and maintaining the progress schedule.
- Conduct or attend weekly project meetings to monitor project status, schedule, discuss problems, and resolve issues accordingly.
- Review the testing/inspections reports submitted by the Contractor and provide approval/dis-approval recommendations to the SRE.
- Keep thorough records of all construction related matters to assist VA in conflict resolution.
- Revise Contractor Proposed utility services and/or traffic interruptions plans and provide report to SRE.
- Maintains an inventory of materials, supplies and equipment and monitors the quantity of materials used in the contract administration and conduct of the project.
- Assists in the documentation and the administration of construction contract changes (drafting proposal requests, preparing cost estimates, reviewing cost proposals, assisting VA in negotiations, and preparing change order packages for the Contracting Officer and SRE).
- Perform weekly Safety Inspection and Prepare Safety Inspection Reports.
- Preform daily manpower and work activity reports.
- Maintaining list(s) of observed defects and omissions. Prepare inspection punch lists and coordinate resolutions of punch list items.
- Available to work after normal duty hours, on nights from 5 PM to 7 AM and/or on weekends as the project requires.
- Must be able to communicate fluently English.
- Reviewing contractor's submittals for technical compliance with contract requirements.
- Ensuring installed work is consistent with approved submittals in order to make recommendations to the SRE for final approval of submittals and installed work.
- Reviewing contractor requests for payment for accuracy and acceptability and then submitting a written recommendation to the SRE for final approval authority on the payment.
- Preparing estimates for changes and reviewing contractor change quotations and cost breakdowns for proposed quantities of labor, equipment and materials.
- Providing written feedback and recommendations to the Senior Resident Engineer on all information reviewed and work inspected.
- Maintaining accurate and complete files relating to the CM services on the project that the Government may inspect at any time.
- Identifying progress delays and recommending appropriate corrective measures to the SRE toward mitigating delays and maintaining the progress schedule.
- Utilizing computerized management system applications, processing requests for information, preparing draft contract modification documents for the senior resident engineer’s use, etc.; maintaining an inventory of materials, supplies and equipment and monitoring the quantity of materials used in the general administration and conduct of office operations.
- Submit daily reports indicating work completed, work in progress with estimated completion dates, work scheduled and outstanding work.
- Observe work being completed by contractors and sub-contractors for proper installation and application of construction materials and report findings daily to SRE.
- Note and document daily conditions including environmental conditions that may impact construction safety and EPA compliance and report findings to SRE.
- Review contractor’s cost breakdown and all submittals on contractor’s proposed equipment and materials; review contractor’s submissions on cost breakdown and cost loading and make recommendations for approval or disapproval.
- Review samples of equipment and materials to be utilized for construction and provide analysis to SRE.
- Maintain marked-up sets of project plans and specifications for future as-built drawings.
- Compile deficiency logs and follow up on correction.
- Coordinate inspections with utility companies as required.
- Coordinate special testing and commissioning work as required.
- Take digital photos of construction progress throughout the duration of the project.
- Assist SRE/RE with final inspection activity.
- Assist with contract close-out activities.
- Minimum of ten (10) or more years of field construction experience on projects with multiple disciplines and vertical and horizontal components with a value in excess of $10 million.
- familiarity with 3 phase inspections, CPM schedules and safety programs such as OSHA and EM-385-1.
- understanding of the role of owner, architect-engineer, contractor, and subcontractor relationships
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM) from CMAA are preferred.
- Electrical or Mechanical Engineer: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited 4-year college or university.
Job Type: Full-time
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering: 10 years (Preferred)
- construction management: 10 years (Required)
- Colorado Springs, CO (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance