At Jackson Hewitt, we are working hard for the hardest working and we are on a mission to completely change the way our customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation’s largest retailers (over 6,000 locations).
We have a passion for our employees and our customers. We recognize and appreciate that our team members are our single greatest competitive advantage. Being an industry leader requires a consistent focus on quality, innovation, performance and results.
At Jackson Hewitt, we are working hard for the hardest working Americans and we are on a mission to completely change the way our customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation’s largest retailers (over 6,000 locations). This role offers the chance to work on critical strategic issues, unparalleled access to company leadership, strong opportunities for advancement within the organization, and highly competitive compensation that reflects our commitment to our talent.
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the Manager of Accounting will manage the close and reporting process, including all accounting-related functions and financial data of the Company.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Manage monthly and year-end financial close process, including preparation and/or review of financial reports (income statement, balance sheet and cash flow) and various management reports
- Maintain and develop accounting controls and procedures, ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting
- Review journal entries, reconciliations, and general ledger activity
- Coordinate and lead the client assistance for the yearly external GAAP financial statement audit as well as preparation of the financial statements and drafting of footnotes and disclosures
- Provide analytical support to senior management to support key business decisions.
- Manage, develop, and coach staff of both direct and indirect reports
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Perform other accounting and financial tasks as may be required from time to time
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & QUALITIES
This role requires at least 5-7 years in roles of progressive responsibility in accounting and reporting. Although not required, experience in or familiarity with the Financial Services and/or Retail sectors strongly preferred. In order to excel in this position, this individual should possess excellent communication skills and the power of persuasion, acute business acumen, and an unmatched desire to succeed. S/he must have the learning agility, initiative, and energy to both keep up with and contribute to the changing marketplace. This role will require experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to adjust and respond to dynamic business conditions.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- Manage and drive talent
- Track record of emerging talent and developing team members for growth and advancement
- Communicate team vision and drive team to high levels of performance to achieve vision
- Develop best-in-class team
- The professional gravitas to build strong relationships with a broad range of people across all levels of management
- Comfortable interacting with all levels in an organization
- High confidence and strong influencing skills
- Unafraid to challenge the norm
- Technically savvy; above average Oracle Systems knowledge and operational acumen Quick learner who connects dots and can recommend and execute process improvements through partnership with Technology team
- Ability to “connect the dots”
- Analyze situation, facts, guidance and business case; determine best strategies for Jackson Hewitt
- Manage relationships within and external to accounting including building relationship with team, business partners, external auditors and key stakeholders
TECHNICAL ACCOUNTING ACUMEN
- A deep understanding of core accounting processes and the ability to lead in Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Strong depth and breadth understanding of GAAP, Regulation S-K, S-X, COSO framework
- Prior experience in a top-tier public accounting firm is highly preferred
- Spreadsheet & Presentation Skills
- Superior PowerPoint and Visio knowledge
- Adept and advanced skills to filter, group, map, and sort voluminous data from accounting systems (V-lookups, macros, etc.)
- A meticulous attention to detail combined with the drive to deliver the most accurate reporting
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical ability as well as a data-driven approach for solving problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to communicate the results of analysis to critical senior audiences;
- Ability to translate highly technical accounting speak into plain English for non-accountants
- Continuous positive, can-do attitude
FLEXIBLE AND ADAPTABLE
- Demonstrated ability to working in a dynamic, fast-paced business environment
- High sense of curiosity and insatiable appetite to learn
- Drive towards improving processes and procedures
- Comfortable working alone, as part of a team and cross-functionally
- Adept at managing multiple tasks to meet strict deadlines
EDUCATION AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting. An MBA and/or CPA / Chartered Accountant preferred is preferred. Big 4 experience is a plus.
We appreciate your interest in Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also Jackson Hewitt Tax Service’s policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Pay Type Salary