Are you an accounting professional with deep technical expertise and a passion for coming up with innovative solutions? Do you thrive on developing and motivating others? If you are looking for your next step after audit, we are in the process of expanding Deloitte’s accounting and reporting advisory practice. We are seeking professionals who want to build off of their existing audit knowledge and use such knowledge on exciting advisory projects that add great value to our clients within their finance and accounting departments. From technical accounting issues, to new standard implementations, accounting system and new process transformations, and complex transaction support (e.g., M&A purchase accounting, finance integration, and more), the leaders of our practice will help you in expanding your experience base to further develop your career. At Deloitte, we provide services using an approach designed to provide the flexibility to serve the unique circumstances and complexities of our clients. As an Accounting and Reporting Advisory Managing Specialist, you'll assist in the delivery of quality services that aim to exceed client expectations. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring staff, providing them with developmental feedback and career guidance.
Work you’ll do
As an Accounting and Reporting Advisory Managing Specialist, you will oversee day-to-day operations of engagements. You’ll closely work with the team to tackle accounting and other issues, while using our cutting-edge tools and technology. Other responsibilities will include:
- Be a trusted advisor to public and private clients to assist with accounting, financial reporting and internal control matters, including complex transactions such as IPOs, M&A activity, equity and debt financing transactions etc.
- Strengthen client relationships and generate additional engagement opportunities through excellent quality, timely execution and strategic approach to service delivery
- Supervise, coach and mentor all levels of staff. Conduct performance reviews and contribute to performance feedback and training. Develop and communicate workplace culture and code of conduct
- Provide technical accounting advice, prepare detailed calculations and manage projects such as:
- Revenue Recognition and related costs (ASC 606 and ASC 340-40)
- Current Expected Credit Losses (CECL)
- Stock-based compensation
- Business combinations
- Foreign currencies
- Earnings per share
- Capitalization of internal use software and website development costs
- Understand and assist clients in complying with SEC financial reporting requirements (10Ks, 10Qs and other filings)
- Perform gap analysis of accounting systems, internal controls and SOX requirements, design and document appropriate processes and controls, and assist with operating effectiveness testing of controls.
- Assist with draft financial statements and other SEC filing requirements
- Assist clients in preparing for and completing audits, and liaising with the auditors
- Supervise and coach team members; provide feedback on performance and promote a “can-do” attitude
- Manage multiple client commitments
- Lead the engagement team to perform financial and accounting due diligence procedures for buy-side or sell-side due diligence engagements:
- Identifying and communicating (i) critical deal issues, (ii) the strength and weakness of the business against industry benchmarks to client management that could impact the purchase price or the deal structure.
- Challenging assumptions related to future financial projections
- Identifying critical post-closing matters to be addressed to ensure improvements in profitability and cash flows
- Reviewing and preparing due diligence reports outlining analyses and findings
- Assisting with the finalization of (i) opening balance sheet/ of purchase price allocations, and (ii) closing working capital calculations.
Our team culture is collaborative and encourages team members to take initiative and seek on-the-job learning opportunities. Our audit professionals are committed to excellence and to enhancing the trust of the investing public and capital markets. Quality is our top priority, and by focusing on innovation, we continue to raise the bar on quality and deliver greater value to our clients. Learn more about Deloitte Audit.
How you’ll grow
- 5-7 years of public accounting or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills demonstrating strong judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
- Experience working in a fast-paced, team environment
- Experience working independently on multiple assignments or engagements
- Up to 100% travel
- 2+ years of experience in managing and supervising teams
- Experience in financial reporting and SEC requirements of IPOs an advantage
- Strong and up-to-date technical knowledge of US GAAP accounting standards
- Ability to read complex documents, synthesize and summarize important facts
- Experience in researching and preparing technical accounting papers
- Knowledge of internal controls and SOX requirements
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel
- Preferred Industries: Technology, Life Sciences, Financial Services, Renewable Energy
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and work independently
- Proven experience in managing client relationships
- Strong written communication skills – ability to clearly document accounting issues and applicable accounting standards
- Good project and time management skills
- Ability to manage and motivate teams with team members at all levels
- Good presentation skills and an ability to explain complex issues clearly and succinctly
- Strong on-the-job training skills and a desire to teach
- Professional and personable demeanor
- Detail orientated and a high level of pride in your work
- Knowledge of IT systems such as Workiva, Netsuite, RevPro an advantage
- Knowledge of IFRS or other international accounting standards an advantage
At Deloitte, we believe in professional development and helping our people grow. We offer learning opportunities to help you sharpen your skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. We support the development of leadership and technical skills through leading-edge learning development solutions such as our Welcome to Deloitte on-boarding program, career milestone learning programs, and Audit technical training. Deloitte University, our 107-acre, $300M center, demonstrates our commitment to development by delivering an interactive, immersive learning environment that offers a physical campus in a virtual world. Welcoming more than 50,000 learners annually from 81 countries, we're considered one of the leading private companies for growing leadership skills. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
Our positive and supportive culture encourages our people to do their best work every day. We celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness and offering them the flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. We offer well-being programs and are continuously looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you’re applying to. We also suggest that you brush up on your behavioral and case interviewing skills and practice discussing your experience and job history with a family member, friend, or mentor. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.