The Aquatics Division is actively recruiting to fill a RECREATION COORDINATOR II
position here at the City of Chandler. If this is an area of interest and expertise, please complete an online application.
650 E. Ryan Road, Chandler
Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM but can include weekends and holidays due to seasonal and operational needs.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to plan, conduct, coordinate and supervise the activities and staff of recreation/aquatics/education programs and facilities to meet the community's needs and interests. An employee in this class may be assigned to other duties in the City's Parks and Recreation/Aquatics Division. This class will be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays as assigned.
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
• Plans, coordinates, and directs recreational activities, including but not limited to, athletic events, youth and teen programs, aquatics programs special interest classes, environmental education, and other related programs;
• Develops program schedules and plans; organizes and allocates equipment, facility space, fields and/or supplies; schedules and coordinates program events with vendors, sponsors, instructors, volunteers, coaches, referees and/or other service providers; and creates and distributes schedules and calendars identifying events, locations, staff assignments and other pertinent information;
• Supervises and evaluates assigned staff, addresses employee concerns and problems, counsels, disciplines and completes performance appraisals; hires and/or assists in the hiring of seasonal, part-time employees including recreation leaders, lifeguards and/or contracted employees, and recruits volunteers;
• Oversees the implementation and execution of planned programs and activities; evaluates programs and assesses effectiveness; and recommends and/or implements changes to improve programs;
• Monitors contracts with vendors, suppliers, and contract employees;
• Meets and coordinates with community interest groups; acts as liaison with school and community agencies to coordinate joint facility use or program agreements;
• Performs various administration tasks; oversees registration and the collection of fees; administers service contracts; monitors allocated program budgets and expenditures; receives, reviews and records invoices from vendors and service providers; and purchases equipment, materials and supplies; records and deposits revenues; reviews time sheets and maintains attendance records;
• Contracts with outside suppliers and vendors;
• Makes periodic written and oral reports, including budget updates and projections;
• Responds to citizen complaints, then suggests and recommends corrective measures as necessary to resolve issues;
• Develops, implements and trains staff; instructs staff in work techniques and the proper use and maintenance of all equipment;
• Supervises implementation and enforcement of risk management and safety policies, regulations, and procedures;
• Assists in preparing manuals, rules and regulations, announcements, bulletins, and promotional materials;
• Manages the physical resources of the facility; conducts regular inspections of equipment, the facility and its grounds; ensures safe and efficient operating conditions; identifies needed maintenance and repair work; and plans, schedules and coordinates the maintenance and repair work, to include working with contractors and other departments;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
Aquatics duties include:
• Plans, initiates, promotes, and directs a specific aquatic related activity or group of related recreation activities at an assigned location, facility, or activity center;
• Explains and demonstrates uses of equipment, supplies, and techniques used in aquatic recreational activities;
• Instructs the American Red Cross certification courses such as Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and AED.
When Assigned to Aquatics (in addition to the above minimum qualifications):
- Bachelor's Degree in Recreation or a related field; and
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in recreation services or a related field, including one (1) year of supervisory experience; and
- First Aid and CPR/AED certifications; and
- Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
When Assigned to Aquatics:
- Lifeguard Training from a nationally recognized organization; and
- Swim Instructor certification from a nationally recognized organization; and
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer and AED from a nationally recognized organization; and
- Aquatic Facility Operators (AFO) certificate or Certified Pool Operators (CPO) certificate or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire; and
- Valid Arizona Driver's License.
- Lifeguard Training Instructor certification and/or Learn to swim Instructor Trainer certification from a nationally recognized organization.
In order to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees, the City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
This position is a regular full time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for 4 months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment drug/alcohol test as a condition of employment; all offers are contingent upon negative test results.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment; all offers are contingent upon acceptable results.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation