Supervises and directs the activities of employees in manufacturing area of expertise to ensure accurate and seamless operations within the organization and across shifts, departments, and with vendors. Uses sound management principals and techniques to manage and develop talent, skills, and processes.
1. Supervises employees in manufacturing area of expertise.
2. Directs the activities of employees to ensure accurate communications and seamless operations within the company across shifts and departments and with vendors.
3. Achieves a high level of employee efficiency and morale through leadership and the use of sound management and human relations principles.
4. Maintains thorough knowledge of all manufacturing processes, ISO and SOPs, continuous improvement, equipment, safety and other regulatory requirements.
5. Works closely with customer service, scheduling, manufacturing departments, and other locations and vendors to ensure timely production and delivery of customer product. 6. Organizes work for efficient operations. Ensures that departmental goals, including safety, quality, continuous improvement, and KPIs are established and met.
7. Administers policies and procedures and recommends changes as necessary. Follows positive employee relations practices. Selects and recommends candidates for hire, promotion, recognition, disciplinary action and/or termination keeping appropriate documentation.
8. Ensures shift coordinators and employees are trained and evaluated on safety procedures and policies. Emphasizes importance of maintaining and operating equipment and keeping work areas clean from debris. Responds to and report on injuries, investigate cause and recommend means to prevent re-occurrence.
9. Tracks and controls department expenditures and labor costs to insure compliance with plant and department budgets.
10. Monitors output, cycle times, routings, and quality indicators of the bindery operation. Works with other department managers such as QA, Production, Planning etc. to resolve difficult or recurring production problems.
11. Troubleshoots processes when necessary. Works with team members to resolve, and requests other resources as necessary.
12. Promotes a positive work environment, sound training programs, and adherence to ISO work instructions and procedures.
13. Works closely with other departments to ensure the accuracy of work performed and the timely shipment of product to our customer.
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- Broad technical knowledge in the commercial print and bindery fields.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage people and direct work activities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organization.
- Knowledge of Windows applications; Microsoft Office products; and database systems such as WCSS, WBS, Foundation, etc. Demonstrated comfort and ability to learn and leverage new systems.
- Bias for process focus and the demonstrated ability to drive process improvement. Must have demonstrated flexibility to multi-task and shift focus and re-prioritize as the situation dictates.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively approach problems and drive for results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Manufacturing, Engineering or related field is preferred but not required. Equivalent work experience in a similar position is acceptable in lieu of degree.
Extensive knowledge of commercial print bindery equipment, workflow planning and processes.
5+ years experience in a supervisory or management capacity managing a manufacturing operation, particularly a commercial print bindery.