PGIM Real Estate Law has an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic global investment management business. PGIM Real Estate Law is seeking a Vice President, Corporate Counsel to join the Americas legal team supporting the PGIM Real Estate business in the U.S. and Latin America with responsibility for fund formation and investment management as well as special projects. This individual will report to the Chief Counsel, Americas.
PGIM Real Estate is the real estate investment business of PGIM, the global investment businesses of Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU) which ranks as one of top 10 asset managers in the world with more than $1 trillion in assets under management as of September 30, 2017. Redefining the real estate investing landscape since 1970, PGIM Real Estate has professionals in 18 cities in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific with deep local knowledge and expertise, and gross assets under management of $69 billion (net $50.5 billion) as of September 30, 2017. PGIM Real Estate offers to its global client base a broad range of real estate equity, debt and securities investment strategies that span the risk/return spectrum.
PGIM Real Estate’s Law currently comprises 12 attorneys located in PGIM Real Estate’s offices in Madison, NJ, London, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo. PGIM Real Estate Law is part of Prudential’s Law, Compliance, Business Ethics and External Affairs department.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing advice on legal and regulatory issues related to the structuring, marketing and launching new real estate investment funds and other products.
- Supporting product development activities, including the structuring of investments by non-US investors in funds and other investment vehicles.
- Supporting portfolio management teams with ongoing fund management issues.
- Providing advice related to joint ventures, REIT structuring and compliance and other investment transactions.
- Providing advice on regulatory issues, fund governance and litigation matters as needed.
- Retaining, managing and coordinating outside counsel.
- Supporting and driving diversity and inclusion efforts, including the retention of diverse outside counsel.
- Significant relevant law firm or in-house experience in fund formation, investment management, and/or real estate capital markets (approximately a minimum of 8 years).
- Knowledge of the US regulatory framework for private funds and real estate capital markets, such as the Investment Advisers Act, the Securities Act of 1933 and ERISA.
- Familiarity with REIT rules and US tax laws related to private funds, including structuring investments for non-US investors.
- Strong problem-solving, communication and client management skills.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and operate independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent judgment, including the ability to provide pragmatic advice and escalate issues when appropriate.
- Ability to collaborate with clients, colleagues and corporate partners at all levels, including senior management.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and able to obtain an in-house counsel license, if required.
- Cross-border or international experience is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
The position may be based in PGIM Real Estate’s headquarters in Madison, NJ, New York, NY or San Francisco, CA. If an individual is based in New York, NY, they must spend a substantive amount of time in Madison, NJ.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.