The Parks and Recreation Manager position is responsible for managing all facets of the Parks and Recreation department which includes but is not limited to planning, promoting and coordinating activities for all members of the community. This position is also responsible for participant safety.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversee development, renovation and maintenance of land for park system, including development of usage policies, and all recreation, and park facilities within the park system including active, passive, and natural areas.
- Research, apply, and administer local, state, and federal grants.
- Implement Parks and Recreation open space plan.
- Identify and facilitate new opportunities for Township open space, parks and other facilities.
- Manage the Parks and Recreation department, including staff, programs, resources, and equipment.
- Oversee operation of community swimming pool complex and seasonal staffing.
- Create, plan, promote, coordinate, conduct, oversee and provide the Township residents with a variety of recreational activities, services and events for community members of all ages utilizing Township facilities, which includes playgrounds, parks, trails, picnic areas, tennis courts, basketball courts, athletic fields, and swimming pools.
- Create an inventory of agencies and program opportunities that are designed for the Township’s special needs residents.
- Plan, review and evaluate the effectiveness of recreational facilities. Prepare facility (fields, rooms, etc.) for planned events. Oversee the maintenance of the facilities, including the Mary Barness Tennis & Swim Club complex (and seasonal staffing) and recommend usage policies, rules and regulations to protect and enhance their use.
- Manage the Field Maintenance agreements with all sports organizations.
- Recommend, coordinate, facilitate and approve the use of park facilities by all outside groups including but not limited to Warrington Sport’s Organization.
- Oversee upcoming events including press releases, brochures, newsletter, web site and mailing lists. Organize and manage multiple annual community and special events to promote community; establish partnerships with nonprofits, youth groups, community groups, business community, and school systems to augment existing program offerings; evaluate and assess programming to determine benefits and effectiveness; create new programming.
- Prepare annual operating and capital improvement budgets and submit to the Park and Recreation Board. Develop vision for the future of the department and develop short and long range goals to address evolving community needs. Strive for and achieve financially self-supporting progr Seek funding opportunities to support programs and projects throughout the year, including corporate sponsorship of events
- Establish a schedule of fair and appropriate fees and charges for department programs and service, which include conducting surveys of fees from surrounding communities.
- Work evenings, weekends and occasional holidays to attend Township Meetings, special and/or emergency meetings and be available for emergency response.
- Screens, interviews and hires applicants, recommends personnel actions, evaluates performance, trains employees including how to conduct events and following safety procedures.
- Complete reports for injury, accidents and other incidents.
Requirements to Hold this Position:
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree required, Master degree preferred, from an accredited college or university in “Parks and Recreation,” “Public Administration,” “Recreation Management,” “Sports Management,” “Tourism,” “Leisure Studies,” “Hospitality” or related field of study.
- Minimum 3 years experience in municipal parks and recreation, recreation management or related field.
- Individual must be authorized to work in the United States
- Valid Driver’s License
- Background Check, PA Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Background Check, Mandated Reporting Clearance
- Knowledge and understanding of municipal parks, recreation and management principles and practices, department operations, goals, budgets and objectives.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, regulations and local ordinances affecting Parks and Recreation including ADA, Pennsylvania and National Bathing Code, Local Health Codes, Environmental Practices and Safety Standards.
- Knowledge of public administration and leadership principles.
- Knowledge of management of people including staff recruitment, training and coaching as well as developing and managing program, event and staff.
- Knowledge of current developments and trends in parks and recreation
- Knowledge of computer applications relating to department programs including databases and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of facility risk management principles.
- Knowledge of open space, environment and horticulture.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; proven experience expressing ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English
- Ability to exercise good judgment in accordance with developed policies, procedures, and precedents and resolve complaints through an investigation, mediation and/or action to lead to a resolution.
- Ability and willingness to learn new concepts and ideas related to local government and regionalization opportunities.
- Ability to establish effective relationships with colleagues, employees, elected officials, representatives of government regulatory agencies, vendors, general public and representatives of community organizations providing services to the Township.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple, complex projects while assuming responsibility for task initiative and completion.
- Ability to work within a diverse multicultural population.
- Ability to effectively use all Microsoft Office applications.
- Monitor the swimming pools during the opening prep, preseason hours and post season.
- Perform clerical duties when administrative assistant is absen
- Project Management and Time Management.
- Public Speaking.
- Organizational Skills.
- Thoroughness, Detail Oriented.
- Leadership and Supervision.
- Problem Solving.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Computer Literacy.
The Parks and Recreation Manager will manage the swim club personnel, the Park Stewards, the Parks and Recreation Coordinator and other staff.
This job operates both inside in an office environment, including other indoor facilities as well as outside at different activity fields and pools. The noise level at many events can be loud. The job is sometimes performed in outside weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is frequently very active and often requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to hold, or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to use office machines such as computers, telephone, and other related office equipment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time non-exempt position requesting 15-22.5 hours per week. Evening and weekend work will be required occasionally.
Travel is primarily local, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Warrington Township provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $32.00 to $38.00 /hour
- Municipal Parks and Recreation or Recreation Management: 3 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
Overtime often available: