The Quality Engineer will work closely with Director of Manufacturing and other departmental leaders to identify key quality issues (process, output, training, etc.) that require definition and improvement commensurate with the company’s strategy and business objectives.
- Directly works with engineering and manufacturing to identify product specifications and quality attributes; measuring production; documenting evidence; determining operational and performance qualification; writing and updating quality assurance procedures.
- Review contracts, drawings, routings, purchase orders, shop instructions and various related production and development plans for quality requirements.
- Completes product, company, system, and compliance audits to insure maintenance and identify improvement areas for quality.
- Interface with senior management and their direct reports in data collection and interpretation for current processes and desired future processes.
- Interface with Manufacturing Engineer(s), Manufacturing Management, and Planning to improve manufacturing/assembly procedures.
- Support Simmons’ lean manufacturing initiative by suggesting process improvements commensurate with lean principles and known quality concerns. Will require company provided Lean training and possible Six Sigma training.
- Develop and Communicate on a regular basis metrics that indicate performance for specific processes against set standards
- Investigates customer complaints, monitors and rationalizes Cost of Poor Quality goals (rework plus warranty expense) in support of the company’s profit objectives.
- Create, develop and maintain processes for customer acceptance and inspection and insure completeness and readiness for factory acceptance testing.
- Support and instruct as needed to Quality Inspectors.
- Support Purchasing with strategic outsourcing and supplier quality monitoring ie. Provide Internal Consulting to Purchasing on an “as need basis”.
- Develop and execute plans for quality and control to ensure constant manufacturing continuity and product conformance.
- Conduct audits of supplier quality system and approve new suppliers along with verify ongoing supplier compliance.
- Support quality goals and objectives along with activities to identify, explain and resolve quality issues.
- Possible travel may be required to strategic vendors, customers and ‘benchmark target’ companies. Provide a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer.
- Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations.
- Updates job knowledge by studying trends in and developments in quality management; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Complete all assigned duties with minimum supervision.
- Perform any other related duties required to successfully accomplish the position of Quality Engineer.
- Reports to the Director, Manufacturing Operations.
This description reflects the principal functions of the job for the purpose of job evaluation. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job nor shall be construed as giving exclusive responsibility for every function described.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated process improvement skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and information to develop associated corrective action plans
- Strategic planning
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly in utilization of data presentation and collection
- Ability to inform and convince others
- Drive for continuous improvement and experience in lean manufacturing techniques a plus
- High standards and emphasis on excellence and “building quality in”.
- Strong attention to detail, thoroughness, and ability to deal with complexity
- College degree in engineering or related discipline OR industry or related experience
- Excellent communication skills within all levels of organization.
- Possess strong leadership skills.
- Display the ability to successfully issue directives, delegate responsibility and skillfully motivate other employees.
- Detailed knowledge of measuring/inspection tools.
- Must have detailed experience in reading and understanding blueprints as well as overall understanding of geometric dimensioning & tolerancing.
Character, integrity and trustworthiness are very important attributes that Simmons looks for in all candidates.
SIMMONS offers a complete medical/health care plan, 401(K) and incentive programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Disability/Veteran
Job Type: Full-time
- Quality Engineer/similar role in manufacturing environment: 3 years (Preferred)
- reading and understanding blueprints: 2 years (Preferred)