Commercial Counsel | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience — one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow, and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the movement to transform an industry.
As Commercial Counsel, you will report to the General Counsel and work closely with the business operations, finance, and marketing teams. You will also provide legal support to the compliance team. This is an opportunity to join a smart, agile team in a fast-growing company, advancing and shaping your role in an exciting, dynamic work environment.
Within 1 month, you will:
Within 6 months, you will:
- Understand our business model, organization, and the key drivers of our growth and success.
- Get to know our key business lines, personnel, and the core partners with whom we work.
- Draft, negotiate, and review a variety of commercial agreements, including software services and vendors, intellectual property, business partnerships, and NDAs.
- Develop contracts management processes to assist vendor management and accounting teams.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Take the lead role in contracting and legal advice for Found Money.
- Provide ongoing practical, legal advice to business operations, engineering, and finance teams.
- Develop competence to support securities compliance with legal risk analysis, marketing, policies, research, and guidance on best practices.
- Assist with corporate secretarial matters.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- Take the lead role in contracting and legal advice on all commercial contracts.
- Develop and execute legal strategy on new business lines, projects, and initiatives.
- Provide legal and practical advice on relevant business and industry developments, including new commercial, IP, and privacy laws.
- Play a leading role in hiring and the expansion of the legal team.
What we offer:
- A legal athlete with sound judgement and integrity. Self-starter who will work independently, come to a view, and give the right answers.
- 3+ years of corporate transactional legal experience working on different commercial transactions, familiarity with digital technology and/or software agreements a plus.
- Superb writing skills, with the ability to draft documents, policies, emails, and anything else in a concise manner, digestible for non-lawyers.
- Top-tier JD and law firm experience. Bar admission and good standing in at least one state.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
1. Lead with heart
2. Make bold decisions
3. Always build trust
4. Never stop growing
5. Advance our society