AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
A Principal Engineer in Collaboration and Unified Communications (UC) who is not only the subject matter expert in their given technical field but a self-starter that is firm, assertive, confident and, most importantly, a passionate personality. Within the CHOP environment the Principal has the primary role of making sure that leadership is always given pertinent technical facts so that informed decisions can be made. As a mentor and teacher the individual needs to be proactive in their knowledge transfer with leadership, peers and mentees. They also need to be a leader of people and carry momentum and excitement “on the floor.” The individual needs the ability to handle multiple, complex scenarios in a consistent and reliable manner, leveraging industry best practices in their work product. Finally, the individual must have the ability to develop and leverage positive relationships with internal departments and external vendors.
1. Leads teams that plan, forecast and implement new Collaboration or UC technologies of high complexity.
2. Participates in Collaboration design and engineering.
3. Evaluates new products and develops technical standards.
4. Is reachable 24/7 as the final escalation point for on call.
5. Performs troubleshooting procedures and designs resolution scripts.
6. Leads enterprise-wide assignments.
7. Works on projects/issues of high complexity that require in-depth knowledge across multiple technical areas and business segments.
8. Maintains and increases knowledge of CHOP IS network systems.
9. Increases knowledge of industry trends, future technologies and client issues that may impact network strategies and direction.
10. Visio and PowerPoint Abilities
11. Coaches and mentors Level I and Level II, and Level III staff.
12. Serves as expert for management task forces and committees.
13. Participates and provides feedback to improve CHOP corporate and IS processes including, but not limited to: work flow, project management, time accounts, and employee reviews.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field. The equivalent in related work experience and self-study may be substituted.
CCNP or CCIE Collaboration
- Alternate of CCNP or CCIE Voice assuming knowledge base has remained current.
3. 7 or more years of overall relevant experience
4. 5 or more years experience in the Collaboration space
5. 5 or more years experience in the legacy TDM Space
6. 5 or more years experience in dealing with Telcos on both the local and national level.
7. 3 or more years in the Cisco Contact Center space. (Ideally focused on PCCE\UCCE)
8. 3 or more years dealing with Expressway or Collab Edge concepts and deployments
9. 5 years or more experience with Cisco Telepresence
10. 3 years or more experience with Webex
11. 3 years or more experience with Route/Switch in a Cisco environment
12. 3 years or more experience with 802.11 (Wireless) in a Cisco environment
13. Strong communication and interpersonal skills to interact with team members, management, customers and support personnel.
14. Strong ability to analyze and solve complex problems using analytical and creative problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of networks.
15. Extensive knowledge and experience understanding industry best practices on network architecture and engineering and experience in robust network, product/service and system design and implementation strategies.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS (Ideally will know 10 or more from the first section, 5 or all from the other sections)
Extensive knowledge of the following
o CLI knowledge
- Unity Connection 9.x and above
- IMP 9.x and above
- Media Resources
o VG3xx preferred
o ISR-44xx preferred
- Cisco 88xx , 79xx family of physical endpoints
- IPC and Jabber soft clients
- BiB based Call Recording Solution
o Preferred experience with ZOOM and\or Calabrio
- Extension Mobility
- Local Route Groups
- Cisco Unity Tools
- DNA (Dialed Number Analyzer)
- Route Patterns
- Local route groups
Extensive knowledge of CUBE
- 3925e or ISR 44xx
- CUSP (Cisco Unified SIP Proxy)
- SIP trunking to\from the PSTN
- Dial Peers
Working knowledge of Cisco PCCE preferred, UCCE accepted with these versions and skills
- 10.5 and 11.6
- ICM Scripting
- VVB and\or VXML
- Comprehensive Call Flow
Additional Technical Requirements
Working knowledge of Cisco Telepresence and Video Conferencing
- Expressway (VCS-E)
- Webex Teams
Working knowledge of Collab Edge or Remote Concepts
- MRA (Mobile Remote Audio)
- B2B Federation
Extensive knowledge of Collab Protocols, Codecs, Concepts
- Notepad ++
- Translator X
- Prime Collaboration
Extensive Knowledge of Telco Services
o MPLS and BPG knowledge a plus
API/Languages (a plus)
External Integrations (a plus)
o Knowledge of Multicast traffic
- Metropolis CDR
- SIP over MWI
- EPIC integration
- XMedius Faxing Solution
- Starfish or other Provisioning + Automation Tool
- Microsoft Federation
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
Nearest Major Market:
Medical, Cisco, Developer, Firmware, Network, Healthcare, Technology