Relocation opportunity to Richburg, SC (30 minutes South of Charlotte, NC). Relocation assistance available to qualified candidates.
Primary Purpose of this Job
The primary purpose of this job is to lead the invention and improvement of metallurgical and chemical reactions in the development of alloyed Titanium powder for ATI and GEA’s Next Gen Alloys (NGA) facility.
Essential Functions(other duties may be assigned)
- Propose, justify and develop the thermodynamic databases to facilitate alloy development and improve existing processes.
- Manage overall projects within scope, schedule and budget while coordinating internal and external resources (ATI, GE, consultants) to augment speed of research.
- Derive and execute experimental research projects to identify reaction mechanisms and generate necessary thermodynamic data utilizing XRD, SEM, and TGA.
- Propose and analyze bench scale and process testing to adjust operating parameters of various unit operations.
- Communicate results to management, colleagues, and customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations.
- Continuously maintain and improve knowledge of developments in Ti powder metallurgy and additive manufacturing through experimentation, attending meetings and conferences, and reviewing trade literature.
- Minimum Job Requirements: *(Equivalent combinations of education, licenses, certifications and/or experience may be considered)
BS in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering discipline. MS or PhD in the same disciplines is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years developing phase diagrams and databases, and/or studying reaction kinetics.
- Experience using thermodynamic or diffusion simulation software such as JMat Pro, Pandat, Thermocalc, Dictra, and FactSage. Analysis and results used to improve chemical reaction pathway understanding.
- Working effectively in a team environment while displaying a commitment and passion for building an innovative culture.
- Basic project management experience
- Minimum of 5 years in extractive metallurgy and metal powder production is preferred.
- Experience analyzing microstructures, phases, and chemical reactions using XRD, SEM and TGA.
- Experience in statistical analysis and/or data analytics and experience using statistical analysis software such as R, JMP, and Minitab.
- Experience in finite element analysis, process modeling, fluid dynamics modeling, data analytics and other aspects of integrated computational materials science
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities typically required to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Metallurgy and chemistry disciplines.
- Microstructures, phases, and chemical reactions using XRD, SEM and TGA.
- Statistical analysis and/or data analytics and software such as R, JMP, Minitab.
- Developing phase diagrams and databases, and/or studying reaction kinetics
- Finite element analysis, process modeling, fluid dynamics modeling, data analytics and other aspects of integrated computational materials science.
- Analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving
- Attention to detail, organization, and time management and prioritization skills.
- Statistical analysis and design of experiments
- Effectively manage projects utilizing project management skills and tools
- Effectively deal with ambiguity and change
- Utilize interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) in order to interact well with employees, colleagues, leaders and customers.
- Appropriately handle confidential IP / sensitive information
Mental & Physical Demands typically required to perform the essential functions of this job
- Outlined in the Safe Job Procedures Document(s)
Working Conditions under which the essential functions of this are typically performed.
- Work is typically performed in a laboratory or office setting
- Regular, in-person attendance
- Travel domestically and/or internationally at minimum of 10%
- Exposure to the work environment in operational facilities
Personal Protective Equipment typically required to perform the essential functions of this job
- Outlined in the Safe Job Procedures Document(s)
The job description is:
- Intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and behaviors of employees in this job.
- Not an employment agreement or contract. ATI Metals and its subsidiary companies have the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
- Intended to describe the essential functions of the position that a qualified individual must be able to perform, either with or without reasonable accommodation.
ATI and Its subsidiary companies are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, ATI and its subsidiary companies will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Job Type: Full-time