NextGen Digital is a new and growing team within Black & Veatch focused on innovation and the use of emerging technology around data and automation. We focus on ensuring that Black & Veatch is disrupting ourselves and setting the course for the future of doing work at Black & Veatch. At NextGen Digital, we believe that data and automation fuel innovation.
The team is looking for a results-driven technology leader who is passionate about applying technology to transform our businesses. Responsible for developing and managing the end-to-end Automation Strategy for NextGen Digital, including technology, neural network models, a library of bots, user friendly automation development tools, coding tools and systems for onboarding good ideas from our professionals who will become coders, agile development methods to ensure fast paced creation of automations, identification of startups with IP that B&V might want to acquire and embrace, and developing and managing a team of talented IT professionals who can turn ideas into reality. Is a key evangelist for the applied use of automation to systematically drive efficient operations in all areas of the business.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain the automation platform for B&V, including platform roadmap.
- Create and maintain a Github environment that can be used by a wide array of groups and people at B&V.
- Create a vetting process for new micro services, new automations, new “bots” as they move from development to staging to production.
- Create tools for using data to monitor performance and successful usage of automations to assess what needs improvement or what is there that is being under utilized.
- Work closely with the Data Guru to ensure that our automation platform and our data platform are aligned with each other and supporting each other.
- Work with NGD’s Director to align on priorities, assess resource needs, assess contractor effectiveness, etc.
- Work with subject matter experts to shape their vision for what is possible and then bring the vision to production.
- Create a support system to ensure timely feedback and resolution of issues.
- Ensure resiliency and reliability so project teams can have confidence in the automation system as a long term replacement for their “old way” of getting work done.
- Strive for zero training footprint of automations.
- Lead the effort to raise the coding skills of our professionals such that we can cut out the IT “middle-men” and go right from idea to automation.
- Manage the funnel of micro automations within a broader canvas of ever increasing automation. Maintain a micro service register across Atonix, MCD, CIO, and NGD.
- Manage multiple projects and initiatives, as well as the day-to-day operation, security, reliability, and throughput of applications, data and reporting.
- Participate in architecture design and development as it relates to selection, acquisition, development, and implementation of major automation solutions.
- Develop a support model that ensures that what goes into production is being used as intended and performing as intended. Ensure direct input from users to developers and quick resolution of any issues that arise.
- Stay aligned with CIO to the extent needed to keep B&V secure, keep our clients secure, make the overall user experience seamless, forecast future cost of 3rd party services as usage grows, leverage CIO initiatives such as Enterprise Data Warehouse and Robotic Process Automation, and ensure that NextGen Digital is creating things that can become the “new norm” when they are no longer “new”.
- Introduce new IT processes and work with others to build and establish a set of published software development processes that provide a measurable level of consistency that meets the requirements of the broader organization.
Bachelor’s Degree required. At least 10 years of similar experience leading a team of developers, model managers, business analysts, and QA. This role is about empowering non-IT people to automate and use machine learning and other data and automation tools to fundamentally change how B&V does work, but it also will encompass developing and maintaining the automation systems and the gig work systems. Must have experience working with on-perm teams coordinating with 3rd party providers. Must have experience with both AWS and Azure platforms as well as various open source options. Must be able to manage a large GitHub and VSTS community.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Proven experience in driving transformational change at global scale and positioning the company to incorporate emerging technologies around the use of automation, gig economy thinking, design thinking, and underlying AI methods, including AI search.
- Has a strong understanding of the latest trends and how to incorporate relevant emerging technologies.
- Strong communication skills; must also be able to effectively communicate technical concepts to executives and general audiences. Has experience interfacing with and presenting to C-level executives.
- Demonstrates innovative forward thinking; has good judgment about which creative ideas work and suggestions will work, has a sense about managing the creative process of others, can facilitate effective brainstorming, and can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Demonstrates strategic agility; sees ahead clearly, can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately, has broad knowledge and perspective, is future oriented, can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods.
- Is a change agent; demonstrates the ability to research, design, and build organizational support for and implementation of corporate practices/programs and cross functional initiatives.