Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Summary for the Human Resources Coordinator
The Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for providing support and ongoing maintenance of various areas of human resources functions including compliance, benefit programs, payroll, short-term disability (“STD”), Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”), Human Resource Information System (“HRIS”) database, assistance in employee programming and special projects as requested. The Human Resources Coordinator maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in benefits enrollment by employees into the HRIS database (“Fusion”) for various Firm benefits programs. Process new enrollment and changes in status with benefit carriers. Initiate employee notification and distribute benefits program information and literature. Enter benefits-related data events (e.g., marriage/divorce/birth of baby) into the HRIS database to allow employees to make elections.
- Provide support to Human Resources Managers and employees regarding policy interpretation and implementation of Short-Term Disability (“STD”), Family Medical Leave (“FMLA”) and long-term disability (“LTD”) programs. Coordinate return-to-work duty when appropriate.
- Track, input, and process COBRA insurance continuation program premium checks by performing data entry into the HRIS database, maintaining files, and corresponding with enrollees when necessary. Submit COBRA checks to accounting for deposit.
- Assist with the administration of the Mass Transit Benefit Programs.
- Assure compliance by displaying appropriate posters and notices related to local, state and federal regulations regarding FMLA, EEO, FLSA, ERISA, ADA, OSHA, etc.
- Act in a backup capacity to the Human Resources Managers including, but not limited to, monitoring telephone calls, reviewing e-mail correspondence and internal/external mail. Provide applicable information and required action where appropriate.
- Complete relevant termination paperwork for terminated employees (i.e., TALX forms, exit interviews, update status with insurance carriers, pension requests, etc.).
- Conduct New Hire Benefit Orientation.
- Perform other related human resources duties as directed and/or assigned by the Human Resources Managers.
Human Resource Information System (“HRIS”) Responsibilities:
- Maintain the integrity of the HRIS database through consistent review, update, and formatting for personal information changes (i.e., new hires, updates, and changes), and ID picture upload.
- Create and run queries and prepares various Fusion reports as requested.
- Submit new hire, termination/deletions and assignment change requests through the Firm’s telecommunication system (“MAC”).
- Review, process and enter all payroll-related data/changes and salary updates, including but not limited to new hires, terminations, leave of absences, etc into the HRIS payroll database.
- Perform pre-production audits for each pay groups prior to processing of payroll.
- Timecard Administration: Ensure new hire timekeepers are setup properly in ADP and monitor the status of weekly timecards for approval.
- Respond to inquiries regarding verification of employment for employees.
- Assist the Chicago Office Administrator in researching, planning and implementing various employee programming for both Firm-wide and Chicago office programming events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent (College degree preferred) and three or more years progressive Human Resources experience preferably in a large legal or professional services firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience and working knowledge of an HRIS or employee benefits database (Fusion) and ADP Workforce Now (Time & Attendance) highly desired. Familiarity and understanding of payroll, FMLA/STD/LTD and COBRA policies, as well as, employee benefits programs, and insurance/benefits terminology and regulations preferred.
- Computer proficient with working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, and MS Word preferred. Data entry skills with 85% accuracy preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, interns, and outside contacts.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative with excellent analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct detailed analysis of benefits and compliance information, assure the integrity of the HRIS database, update employee information in the HRIS database, and respond to benefits’ inquiries.
- Ability to work discreetly with confidential information and situations. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, and verifying numerical data, calculating figures for comprehensive benefits’ programs, compiling statistical data, and preparing various human resources’ reports.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, perform data entry, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Temporarily due to COVID-19