Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field
Licensed Architect or Professional Engineer with Texas Registration preferred Licensed as a Registered Architect (RA) or (AIA), Professional Engineer (PE), Project Management Professional (PMP) or LEED Certification in the State of Texas preferred
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Minimum 7 years of professional experience in programming, design, plan review, project management and design management pertaining to new construction, renovation, and maintenance of facilities
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Ability to supervise and manage project staff and outside consultants working under design & construction to successfully carry out the design scope of work bond projects
• Knowledge and understanding of construction in the areas of education and educational facilities
• Demonstrate knowledge of procedures for production of schematic design, design development, and construction documents, and knowledge of engineering planning, drafting, and detailing
• Demonstrated competence and knowledge of general construction methods, materials, construction sequencing, construction operation, building codes and required inspections for completion of projects
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed in classrooms, offices, work stations and meeting rooms.
The position requires occasional walking, standing, sitting, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and lifting/carrying work related items weighing less than 40 pounds, such as books, papers and presentation materials. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Attendance at conferences and professional development is required. Work involves everyday risks and discomforts which require normal safety precautions when operating equipment or performing job duties. May work prolonged or irregular hours and must be able to maintain emotional control under stress.
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY
The Design Manager is responsible for managing the design process for all bond projects, ensuring that District facilities are designed to meet FBISD's Educational Specifications and industry standards and guidelines. The incumbent will provide design direction and management of the design process throughout the bond program.
The incumbent will oversee staff assigned to the bond design team, and will provide direction and oversight of design activities required for the execution of construction and renovation projects for the District.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities, required unless otherwise stated as preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentials functions.
• Guide and manage project staff throughout the design stages of the bond program and across all project assignments
• Establish criteria for project design. Review Architect/Engineer’s Basis of Design and provide concurrence for selected methods, zoning, design schedule, etc
• Lead and coordinate execution, procurement process (RFP/RFQ), contract generation and administration for professional services, and implementation of such professional services for the overall bond program
• Oversee and manage the development of the Educational Specifications and administrative procedures for all design components
• Review consultant’s schematic design, design development, and construction documents to determine accuracy and adequacy, and to ensure code compliance and adherence to District standards and project requirements
• Assist FBISD Design and Construction team in resolving design issues related to drawings, conflicts, errors and omissions.
• Track and manage design errors and omissions throughout the program
• Lead and coordinate all vendor requests, product reviews, and new product application/implementation
• Manage drawing submittal process and comments, and oversee revisions of architectural documents for potential conflict with other design disciplines, design intent, Educational Specifications, district standards, etc
• Actively participate in the generation of bid packages throughout the bond program. Guide and manage project staff and consultants throughout the process
• Assist in preparation of project close-out documents related to professional services to ensure services and fees are accurate and approved
• Establish and oversee project design schedules for all bid packages throughout the bond program. Ensure consultants maintain established design schedules and milestone deliverables
• Display a high degree of ingenuity when developing new methods and solving problems including the ability to work in a team environment to identify and resolve design coordination issues
• Assist in the development of the capital improvement planning process for design and construction activities, which support the school system’s management plans for both new facilities and renovations of the existing facilities
• Assist in the preparation of new initiatives by exercising due diligence, identifying building issues which require replacement or upgrades, compiling cost estimates and justifications
• Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To be considered for this posted position, ALL applicants are required to submit ALL items listed below:
1. Upload a letter of interest and résumé.
2. Complete or update the online application – Must have current employment history and contact information.
3. Upload a copy of college or university transcript(s).
** Be sure to select the position applied for in the “Employment Preferences/Add Position” section on the online application
Complete application must be received by 4:30 p.m. on December 15, 2018.
Pay Grade 206- salary based on qualifications and experience. To view pay structure, click here.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT(DAYS):
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
FBISD Human Resources
3119 Sweetwater Blvd.
Sugar Land, TX 77479