New Berlin, NY
As a mutual company, we are independent by nature, so we think about insurance solutions a little differently. Through listening, problem solving, examining your challenges and collaborating on the right solutions for you, Preferred Mutual independent agents provide flexible solutions and adapt to your evolving needs. We do the same for our employees. We are process and domain experts, focused on the solutions that deliver results for our clients and our company. We offer a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. With Preferred, there are no surprises. You can count on us to deliver on our promises and be there when you need us, as your insurance provider and your employer. Preferred Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
YOUR PURPOSE AND FUNCTION IN OUR COMPANY:
This role is specific to Insurance coverage analysis and litigation management. Under the guidance of Claims Counsel, the Assistant Claim Counsel provides high-quality legal advice on both litigated and non-litigated claims and investigations, reviews and evaluates coverage and/or complex legal issues; provides coverage recommendations to the claims department; consults with regard to claims handling and assists with providing general legal advice to the claims organization. He/She will be responsible for conducting examinations under oath and providing detailed reports/evaluations with handling recommendations and legal analysis to the claims department. He/She will occasionally represent the Company where feasible on matters related to salvage and subrogation and coverage dispute litigation in state and federal courts, and in various alternative dispute resolution forums. Counsel will provide general legal support to the claims department and may also provide legal assistance as necessary to other business units within the Company, including Government Affairs. This role will support the day-to-day initiatives and long-term strategies of the Company.
This position will:
- Assist with providing legal advice to claim managers and staff on litigated and coverage matters and in instances where applicable law, statutes, regulations and court decisions are unclear or conflicting.
- Conduct examinations under oath in connection with first-party coverages; represent the Company in arbitrations or other ADR and prepare legal documents, correspondence and memoranda to identify and protect legal interests of the Company and/or its insureds as appropriate.
- Develop and implement cost-effective legal strategies on complex claims, engaging and managing outside counsel, as required.
- Provide coverage review and analysis, including review and/or drafting of coverage opinions, letters, reservation of rights and disclaimers.
- Assist with, and may independently provide, training/informational initiatives for staff on emerging legal/coverage issues affecting the claims department.
- May attend trials, hearings, arbitrations, mediations on behalf of the Company to monitor when necessary.
- In partnership with Claims Counsel, play a key role managing productivity goals for panel counsel that address handling driven leakage through effective investigation, timely determination of liability, accurate exposure assessment and prompt resolution.
- Maintains awareness of judicial climate, current case law, skillful defense techniques and professional expertise through the review of legal publications, seminar/conference attendance, etc. and performing legal research.
- Is required to travel up to 40% of the time.
- JD degree and 5 or more years of property/casualty experience, including prior experience handling or litigating coverage issues, in particular first-party claims. Experience in conducting examinations under oath is preferred.
- Must have experience in the lines of business underwritten by the Company.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one of the 4 states in which the Company operates (NY, NJ, MA and NH).
- Possesses working knowledge of coverages written by the Company, in particular first-party coverages.
- Knowledge of legal precedents, legislative and industry-related issues, and judicial trends. Must have the ability to effectively and efficiently research laws and regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Must have strong negotiation, listening, and interpersonal skills to effectively develop and maintain productive internal and external relationships.
This role (job) description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between Preferred Mutual Insurance Company and its employees.