The Front Office Clerk is responsible for activities that result in complete, accurate and timely admission and registration of all patients prior to being seen by a medical provider at The Children’s Clinic, “Serving Children and Their Families”(TCC). The registration process includes completing accurate and timely data entry of patient demographic and insurance information into the practice management system (EPIC), verifying insurance eligibility and enrolling un-insured patients into programs for the un-insured. The front office clerk must complete pertinent registration and enrollment forms and enter patient demographic information into various internet based computer application systems. The front office clerk adheres to all patient confidentiality policies and is responsible for carrying out job assignments in a pleasant and respectful manner. This employee must be responsible, reliable and dependable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains a professional demeanor and excellent customer service with patients, providers, outside agencies and management staff.
- Maintains accurate registration of patient insurance and demographic information in the electronic health record or practice management system.
- Collects co-payments and patient payments and accurately records and logs all payments received into the practice management system and cash logs.
- Verifies insurance eligibility using an automated electronic verification system, POS device or internet.
- Accurately screens and enrolls un-insured patients into various programs for the un-insured (i.e. California Health Department Program (CHDP) gateway, Family Pact, LA County Un-Insured Programs, and Sliding Fee Scale Program).
- Answers phone calls and sends out new appointments and appointment reminders to specific patient populations.
- Adheres to all patient confidentiality policies and carries out all tasks in a pleasant and respectful manner.
- Maintains own stock of necessary forms and supplies needed to carry out job assignments.
- Provides information and education to our patients on programs for the un-insured.
- Provides helpful answers to inquiries made by patients and staff regarding programs and services offered at TCC.
- Collaborates with back office staff in order to achieve efficient workflow.
- Completes billing reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Meets daily benchmarks for completing all data entry of patient demographics and insurance information into the electronic health record.
- Collaborates with members of the team to ensure daily patient care productivity goals are met.
- De-escalates challenging situations that may arise with patients and/or staff.
- Serves as a resource to staff and providers in the use of the electronic health record (EHR).
- Participates in training new members of the staff.
- Other Duties
- Answers phone calls, screens callers, relays messages, and greets visitors in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Takes messages for clinic personnel using TCC protocol.
- Scans demographic, insurance and medical reports and documents the information into EHR as per TCC protocol.
- Completes and prepares various types of administrative medical forms for outside agencies.
- Processes requests for Protected Health Information following TCC protocol.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of high school or equivalent and 1-3 years of experience in a medical office setting preferred.
- Ability to type 35-45 wpm.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Medical and insurance terminology knowledge preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Internet, Email, Practice Management Systems and Electronic Health Records preferred.
- Communicates and comprehends in written and verbal form using correct grammar in English.
- Uses mathematical abilities in order to determine program eligibility for our patients.
- Treats individuals of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds with respect and exceptional customer service.
- Works independently, shows initiative and works productively within a team environment.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Employee is required to frequently sit in an upright position at a desk for office work.
- Employee may be required to stand for long periods of time and move rapidly in a fast paced office environment.
- Employee may occasionally be required to drive to attend outside meetings and trainings.
- Employee may be required to climb stairs to get to restroom facilities and employee lounge.
- Employee will be required to use the telephone system and office equipment regularly.
- Employee will be required to use repetitive hand and finger motion to type using a variety of computer applications including practice management system, internet and other office equipment.
- Employee is required to sit; talk and pay close attention to detail in a busy office environment.
- Employee will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Indoor medical office setting with limited space.
Air conditioned in summer and central heat in winter.
Employee may be occasionally required to travel from one clinic location to another for patient care purposes and/or to attend meetings and/or trainings. This may result in exposure to variable weather conditions.
Employee may have occasional exposure to moisture, unpleasant odors, dust, dirt, cold, biological and chemical agents.
Employee may have occasional exposure to moderate noise levels consistent with business activity in a busy medical office setting.
For over 75 years, The Children’s Clinic, "Serving Children and Their Families" has been dedicated to providing comprehensive healthcare in a culturally sensitive and linguistically appropriate manner to medically underserved, low-income and high-risk populations in Long Beach and surrounding communities.
The Clinic is a true medical home for greater Long Beach and surrounding communities providing medical care and counseling for well-child visits, acute and chronic care, adult clinic, community outreach and education, immunizations, laboratory testing, prescribed medications, and linkage to community resources in nine (9) clinic sites.
GENEROUS COMPANY BENEFITS:
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- 401k with Employer contribution
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- United PetCare Program
- Paid Time Off (PTO) - 22.9 days per year
The Children’s Clinic is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- Medical Terminology: 2 years
- Medical Receptionist: 2 years
- non profit: 1 year