The Denver office of Sherman & Howard is seeking a dynamic Legal Secretary to join its
Tax and Probate Practice Group. The Legal Secretary should have experience with estate planning documents such as Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney and Living Wills.
As a vital member of our team, you will provide a full range of secretarial and administrative support for attorneys and paralegals with a high-paced practice. This opportunity will allow you to work alongside other talented individuals dedicated to providing excellent service to our clients.
SOUND LIKE YOU? READ ON!
The job responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Prepare correspondence, contracts, other documents and/or memoranda in draft and in final form from handwritten material, typed copy and transcription files.
- Assist in updating/revising wills, trusts, and living will documents.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of exhibit booklets.
- Prepare, submit and maintain attorney(s) weekly time records.
- Set up, maintain, and ensure that files are kept current including classifying, arranging files, filing, and storing information.
- Monitor, prioritize, organize, and facilitate daily workflow in order to meet project deadlines. This includes all administrative tasks including scheduling meetings, calendar management, processing expense reimbursements etc.
- Maintain e-mails and/or documents on DMS as determined by attorney and paralegal.
- Communicate with other legal and support departments, including regional offices as needed.
- Open New Matter/New Client Reports, as requested, and arrange for conflicts checks.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible and varied legal secretarial experience.
- Familiarity with general practices and procedures, systems philosophies, structure, methods and approaches of mid-to-large sized firms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle matters independently
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, grammar and basic legal terminology
- Knowledge of various court electronic filing procedures for applicable practice areas
- Advanced skill in the use of technology systems such as Microsoft Office Suite 2013, Document Management Software, Time Entry software, Workshare Compare, Olympus, and Adobe/PDF programs
- Skill in typing and transcribing accurately at a rate of 70 + words per minute
- Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task, while working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to establish good rapport with attorneys, clients, and other employees
- Ability to think creatively
WHAT REALLY GETS US EXCITED!
- You actively listen to others and understand their needs.
- You have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- You dive in and take initiative without being asked.
- You know “how to get things done.”
- You have good judgment and a thoughtful approach.
- You are consistent with your follow through.
- You are attentive to details and keep track of all the moving parts.
- You are available to work extended hours as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
- Legal Secretary: 3 years (Preferred)