Positions Report to:
Managing Director, Out of School Time
Commensurate with experience. Additionally, EHTP offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Who We Are
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for public school students and a network of charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. Between EHTP's after-school programs and charter schools, more than 15,000 East Harlem youth and their families have walked through its doors – and, by participating in EHTP's year-long, free programs, they have improved their academic skills, developed confidence, and found community.
For more information about EHTP's mission, model, and programs, please visit us at www.ehtp.org ( http://www.ehtp.org ).
What Sets Us Apart
EHTP aims to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. Furthermore, as staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. To read EHTP's racial equity statement, please click here ( https://ehtp.org/our-beliefs/our-racial-equity-work ).
The Work and Why it Matters
As the Manager, Middle School Program, you will oversee the after-school and summer program that serves 6th through 8th grade scholars. Through the after-school and summer program, we provide supplemental academic, athletic, and enrichment programming. Using strong project management skills and student engagement, you will develop the program's classroom culture and family engagement plan, working closely with and coaching all middle school instructional staff to effectively lead in their classrooms. Additionally, you will create and facilitate professional development sessions for instructional staff, monitor attendance of the program, and develop plans to ensure a high scholar retention rate and positive, youth-centered culture. You will report to the Managing Director, OST and have at least 3-5 years of experience managing educational activities. Spanish is strongly preferred.
Who You Are
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in relevant educational positions including experience managing instructional staff
- You have a bachelor's degree or higher
- You preferably have experience teaching or leading an instructional team
- You believe in EHTP's mission,core values ( https://ehtp.org/our-beliefs/our-core-values ), andracial equity statement ( https://ehtp.org/our-beliefs/our-racial-equity-work )
- You hold yourself to high professional and ethical standards
- You enjoy and/or have experience working with diverse populations of students and communities
- You believe that every student can and will learn when provided with a quality education
- You have demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of students who historically have not had equitable access to education opportunities
- You are willing to be flexible in your role and adapt to school and student needs
- You are committed to continuous improvement and learning through professional development
What Success Looks Like
- Partners with the operations team to identify necessary resources and supplies for scholars and instructional staff
- Thoughtfully integrates EHTP's anti-racist work into the program through instructional seminars
- Supports and coaches all instructional staff to create positive, youth-centered classrooms and program culture
- Provides regular feedback to instructional staff
- Manages East Harlem Service Corps and consults with Manager of Volunteers and Interns
- Ensures the After-School Program is fully enrolled for the academic and summer term while maintaining attendance throughout the year
- Manages contract with JCC Harlem and Saturday swim classes, with occasional attendance at Saturday swimming required
- Acts as liaison to Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and Department of Health and upholds compliance
Student Recruitment and Operations
- Plans and executes the application and registration process for middle school students
- Partners with school operations team to communicate with potential families
Family, Student and Community Engagement
- Builds partnerships with key community stakeholders (i.e. subcontractors, partner organizations, athletic leagues etc.) to support the growth and success of the after school program
- Creates an outreach calendar to communicate with families regarding openings, closings, trips and other important deadlines
- Develops and maintains strong, meaningful relationships built on trust with families and scholars
Thank you in advance for taking the time to apply to East Harlem Tutorial Program.