United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10218903
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
10/16/2018 - 11/02/2018
ASSISTANT LABORATORY DIRECTOR
F & TSD LABORATORY (Digital Evidence Unit)
22433 RANDOLPH DR
DULLES, VA 20104-9998
TITLE: ASSISTANT LABORATORY DIRECTOR
GRADE: W2 - 06
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 1320-0034
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 04:30 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 135,640.00 - 168,387.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 512755
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Directs the system-wide forensic activities of one or more laboratory disciplines engaged in research, policy development,
planning and analysis of programs and services, in support of criminal and administrative investigations. Serves as technical
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directs the system-wide forensic activities of one or more laboratory disciplines engaged in scientific examination,
research, planning, and analysis of programs and services. Directs the identification and interpretation of evidence in support
of criminal and administrative investigations.
2. Develops and reinforces laboratory and discipline protocols and procedures to ensure effective customer support.
Provides technical guidance and direction concerning scientific protocols, analysis, and interpretation of evidence within a
3. Oversees the evaluation of system-wide workload and staffing. Implements plans to enhance service and laboratory
4. Supervises laboratory activities and analytical work of forensic, technical or administrative employees. Coordinates
laboratory support of field investigations.
5. Manages the development of specific discipline-related policies, programs, and strategic objectives to ensure consistency
and discipline integrity.
6. Monitors the quality of analytic work products to maintain appropriate quality standards and ensure continuous service
7. Oversees discipline-related career progression and training programs for forensic science analysts.
8. Serves as a technical expert in the specific discipline; maintains colaborative relationships with various national and
international forensic science organizations and groups.
9. Supervises the work performance of staff, including evaluating performance against goals, providing technical guidance
and feedback, building effective work relationships, mentoring, and establishing indivdual development plans.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Knowledge of forensic science protocols, procedures, and examination techniques sufficient to provide technical guidance
and direction within a specific discipline.
2. Ability to manage the work of others to achieve organizational goals, including planning objectives, monitoring
performance, and providing technical guidance and training.
3. Ability to coordinate and implement laboratory support for field investigations.
4. Ability to evaluate system-wide workload and staffing, and develop plans sufficient to enhance service and laboratory
5. Ability to monitor analytic products sufficient to maintain appropriate quality standards and ensure continous service
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT Bachelor’s degree in physical or biological sciences, life sciences, chemistry or a closely
related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and
sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
7. Knowledge of forensic science techniques, laboratory operations and protocols, scientific methodologies, and forensic
physical, instrumental, and examination procedures sufficient to manage the activities of one or more forensic disciplines.
8. Ability to develop, review, and implement program policy and procedures, and related forensic science training plans and
9. Knowledge of forensic laboratory quality assurance principles and processes and international laboratory standards
sufficient to oversee the quality management system of a forensic science service provider.
This position supervises the Digital Evidence Unit responsible for 22 lab locations.
SPECIAL CONDITION: Willingness to submit to a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) for security clearance. The
investigation requires completion of a questionnaire, fingerprints for a criminal records check, and may require a drug test.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain security clearance while holding the position.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Advanced Degree and/or Certifications in the field of Computer Forensics.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.