This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help......
The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here:
Position Description (Download PDF reader)
View the Job Specification (Download PDF reader)
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position.
Required Education and Experience
Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.
This position is located in Petoskey, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 2229 Summit Park Drive, Petoskey, MI 49770.
Why Emmet County?
- Emmet County is located in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan.
- Based on the most recent information from the US Census Bureau, the county's population is 33,161 and median household income is $ 51,113.
- Some of the parks and trails in Emmet county include Headlands County Park, Paradise Lake, Petoskey State Park, Middle Village Beach, Sturgeon Bay, The Little Traverse Wheelway and the Inland Waterway.
- Historical sites include Mackinac State Historic Park, Andrew Blackbird Museum, Bay View Association, Harbor Springs History Museum, Little Traverse Historical Museum, Inland Water and Route Historical Museum and St. Francis Solanus Indian Mission.
- Music and Performing Arts Venues include the Crooked Tree Arts Center, Harbor Springs Lyric Theatre, Harbor Springs Performing Arts Center, John M. Hall Auditorium, Red Sky Stage and The Young Americans Dinner Theatre.
- Events include the Labor Day Bridge Walk, Taste of Harbor Springs, Blissfull Jam Sessions, Festival on the Bay, Riverfest, Emmet-Charlevoix County Fair and Bay View Music Festival.
Petoskey Farmers Market, CTAC Summer Artisans Markets, Harbor Springs Farmers Market, Odaawegamigonhs Farmers Market and Good Hart Market Days.
- Home to at least 12 golf course, some of which are ranked among the best in the state.
- Downhill skiing can be found at Nub's Nob and Boyne Highlands and also Boyne Mountain in nearby Charlevoix County
- Home to at least 8 wineries and 3 breweries (with a new one opening soon.)
- The Odawa Casino is located in Petoskey, Michigan.
- The childhood, summer home of the famous author, Ernest Hemingway is on Walloon Lake.
More information can be found at http://www.emmetcounty.org/ and http://www.petoskeyarea.com/
Why Charlevoix County?
- Charlevoix County is located on the northwest side of the Michigan Lower Peninsula.
Based on the recent US Census estimates, the county's population is 26,238 and median household income is $ 46,709.
- Historical sites and museums include Boyne City Historical Interpretive Center, Raven Hill Discovery Center, and Charlevoix's unique "mushroom house" designed by architect Earl Young
Events include Boyne City Harvest Festival, Stroll the Streets, Morel Mushroom Festival, East Jordan Freedom Festival, Boyne City Farmers Market, Red Fox Regatta, Beaver Island Music Festival, Charlevoix Venetian Festival, Charlevoix Applefest, Boyne Falls Polish Festival and the Boyne City Triathalon.
- Home to at least 6 golf course, some of which are ranked among the best in the state.
- Downhill skiing can be found at Boyne Mountain and also Nub's Nob and Boyne Highlands in nearby Emmet County
- Music and Performing Arts venues include a band shell at the Charlevoix Harbor, Aten Place, Boyne City Performing Arts Center, and Freshwater Art Gallery and Concert Venue.
- Other attractions include Lavender Hill Farm, Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark, Mt. McSauba Recreational Area and Castle Farms.
- Lake Charlevoix is one of the largest inland lakes in State of Michigan.
Beaver Island, is the largest island in Lake Michigan and the island is accessible by ferry which leaves from Charlevoix. The island is known for its unique history, exceptionally clear star gazing/night sky watching and natural scenery.
- County parks include Whiting Park, Thumb Lake Park, Porter Creek Natural Area, Little Traverse Wheelway and the Boyne City to Charlevoix Trail.
- Young State Park and Fisherman's Island State Park offer swimming, hiking, cross country skiing and other outdoor activities.
- More information can be found at http://www.charlevoixcounty.org/ and http://www.visitcharlevoix.com/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":
If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be?
How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge?
Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
Attach a cover letter.
Attach a copy of an official transcript(s). We accept scanned copies of official transcripts. Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript (Download PDF reader).
As a Condition of Employment – this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis.
YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS.
Failure to complete any of the above items may result in your application being screened out.
DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.
See instructions for attaching files here:
Instructions (Download PDF reader)
For further information regarding this posting please contact Kari Salmi at (906) 228-0745 or SalmiK1@michigan.gov