- Certified Safety Professional
- Microsoft Office
- Curriculum Development
- Microsoft Powerpoint
Aqua Metals Environmental Health & Safety Specialist observes and chronicles individuals’ typical behavior and procedures to determine if these practices are safe for the individual and the company as a whole. The EHS Specialist works with the Environmental, Health and Safety Manager to plan, direct and implement Aqua Metals’ environment health and safety programs to ensure a positive, safe, healthy, and incident-free work environment and is responsible for the compliance by Aqua Metals with all environment and safety regulatory agencies. Areas of specialty for this position, while having a general knowledge company-wide, will focus on hazardous waste handling compliance, permitting, reporting and performing OSHA approved air monitoring for lead exposures. This position would also respond to emergency situations when they arise.
The EHS Specialist will be the focal contact person responsible for developing vendor contacts for ordering all required safety equipment and personal protective equipment. Success in this area will require the ability to learn and follow all procurement processes as directed from our purchasing department. In addition, all vendor services provided for the EHS department will be monitored by he EHS Specialist for performance and compliance with our needs.
- Plans and implements procedures, programs, and files regulatory reports in compliance with the local, state, and federal agencies
- Assists with the record keeping, and manuals for these programs (including but not limited to): OSHA, DOT, NDEP, EPA and DHS
- Works with EHS Manager for Aqua Metals promotion of safety in our community, school, or industry safety groups and programs.
- Assists with annual department goals according to key metrics (recordables, lost time accidents, near-misses) that are measured throughout the organization
- Participates in Aqua Metals goal setting and budget process, in areas of safety and compliance
- Communicates closely with and takes day to day orders from the EHS Manager in the day to day work, so EHS goals are reached. Plans, implements, and oversees the company safety program; coordinates and assists with Aqua Metals safety committee(s).
- Provide leadership in developing, implementing and managing EH&S policies, programs and practices.
- Assists with the development of Aqua Metals site security program
- Plans and implements programs to train supervisors and employees to meet standards and also to enhance the company safety culture.
- Provides new employee safety orientation program and employee safety training
- Assists with the company’s contractor safety program.
- Monitor supplied uniform vendor performance, assist in managing supplies provided by the vendor
- Assists with for Aqua Metals emergency response to environmental, structural, and employee incidents.
- Assists with the investigation of all incidents and injuries from initial report to closure.
- Work within the role to uphold a high level of leadership in upholding values of compliance and support for the human resources, environment health and safety policies.
- Perform specified internal EHS audits for safety, hazardous waste checklist.
- Communicate with various levels of the organization to achieve the success of the EHS goals.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience, or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Certification in an EHS related field or working towards certification. (ASP, CSP, CHMM, CSMP, SHP-Nevada OSHA)
- Ample knowledge about chemicals, environmental science, and human health
- Knowledge about the chemical compositions, structures, and other important properties of the chemical substances
- Knowledge and experience in compliance with the Resource Conservation Recovery Act, EPA, NDEP, hazardous waste handling, local air quality, clean water and storm water pollution prevention.
- Experience in training groups in a class setting, developing curricula, courses using MS power point
- Ability of using various scientific rules and methods to solve problems
- Experience in working with OSHA compliance. Hands on experience with OSHA 49CFR1910 regulations
- Ability to detect and solve problems effectively
- Ability to work effectively even under pressure
- Ability to work effectively with Microsoft Office tools.
- Safety - Proven ability to recognize safety as the organization’s highest priority.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Culture - Background that is committed to developing and maintaining a work culture that breeds trust in your fellow employee and commitment to contributing to the success as outlined in the organizations mission statement.
- Training and Development ‑ Commitment to continuous improvement of all employees.
- Problem Solving - Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Varies writing style to meet needs; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively; Prepares and supports those affected by change.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Other assigned tasks as required by supervision
Job Type: Full-time