SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the public in use and loan of the library’s books and other materials, promoting and maintaining its collection and other reader services, and providing supplemental custodial care of the building and grounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- To assist the public in their use of the library, increase quality of service, and optimize patron satisfaction through direct public relations and assistance.
- Greets the public and answers the telephone.
- Directs visitors, provides book recommendations, and answers basic questions.
- Locates books for public using standard search methods.
- Searches for and helps locate materials for common reference requests.
- Assists public in use of computers, faxes, viewing/duplicating or other equipment and provides change.
- Actively seeks opportunities to promote CCPL programs and services to our users/community.
- To perform standard circulation functions, using SIRSI, while maintaining confidentiality of library user records.
- Specifically checks-out and checks-in materials, places holds and loans against books as requested, empties book drop, etc.
- Processes library card applications and enters user data.
- Calculates and collects fines.
- To provide minimal custodial care, especially when the Branch Custodian is not scheduled.
- Cleans, mops, and vacuums.
- Collects and disposes of trash.
- Sets up and takes down the branch meeting room according to schedule of events.
- Seasonal duties like snow removal and watering of flowers.
- To help maintain branch collection for ease of access and use: by shelving books and other materials, reading shelves to ensure accuracy, preparing periodicals for display and circulation, etc.
- Assists with and fills in on special branch projects (displays, programming, story hours, summer reading, fundraising, and other scheduled events).
- Performs other reasonable related duties (with appropriate accommodation if necessary) as assigned by immediate supervisor and other administration as required.
- Types correspondence.
- Files cards, pamphlets, tax forms, and loose-leaf service inserts.
- Substitutes in other branches as needed and staffing permits.
REQUIREMENTS: Computer knowledge, especially Window-based applications.
Ability to work independently with little supervision.
Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse library clientele.
Capable of standing, walking, reaching, and bending for extended periods of time.
Ability to lift heavy library materials (approximately 25 lbs).
EDUCATION: High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
Some college experience preferred.
Position is for 18 hours a week only. Must be able to work Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $9.00 /hour