Performs a variety of highly skilled facilities maintenance responsibilities associated with ensuring operational efficiency and effectiveness of LYNX facilities and passenger/transit amenities. This position is part of a bargaining unit
- Performs work relative to installation, renovation, construction, repair, maintenance, and preventative maintenance inspections of buildings, premises, and property.
- Performs complex electrical, plumbing, carpentry, welding, hydraulic, pneumatic, heating, refrigeration, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities maintenance work.
- Diagnoses problems and makes repairs or replacements of worn or defective parts of equipment.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, schematics, and technical manuals pertaining to facilities and equipment installed and serviced.
- Surveys work requirements; measures and calculates materials, labor, and systems requirements; prepares materials lists and carries out required tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Measures and installs pipes, fittings, and fixtures for heaters, fans, water and drainage systems; cuts and threads pipes; assembles and installs valves and fittings; joins and caulks pipes; replaces washers; mends pipes; and opens drains.
- Cuts and installs windows and doors; installs walls, light fixtures, and ceilings; builds and installs counters, cabinets, and partitions; verifies structure trueness using plumb bob and level; installs or replaces door knobs and locks.
- Patches concrete and asphalt paving; patches asphalt roofs; repairs pit boards and gratings in garages.
- Moves furniture and office equipment.
- Safely operates electrical and air powered tools, pipe fittings, welding, hydraulic, pneumatic, and other mechanical tools, equipment, and/or heavy equipment assigned to the department.
- Textures walls; paints interiors and exteriors of existing or remodeled premises; lays out and paints parking or traffic lanes and signs; repaints or fabricates route signs.
- Repairs or removes bus shelters, benches, signs and poles; provides general maintenance and upkeep of these facilities.
- Installs or makes repairs to lights and electrical systems in bus shelters;
- Records completed maintenance tasks on work orders; uses computer terminal for data entry, inquiry and modification.
- Performs other duties as may be required or assigned.
- High School diploma or General Education diploma (GED); plus
- Two years of full time training or education at a trade school or apprenticeship program in a directly related area; plus
- Three years of full-time experience performing carpentry, facilities construction and maintenance work, or mechanical equipment maintenance.
- An additional two years of full-time experience performing carpentry, facilities construction and maintenance work, or mechanical equipment maintenance beyond the minimum required may be substituted for one year of full time training or education at a trade school or apprenticeship program.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license and safe driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Certification in 608 for A/C systems
Work Environment and Special Considerations:
- Knowledge and experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing, air conditioning, heating, ventilation, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment, pipe fittings and welding.
- Knowledge of methods, practices, and terminology used in building and facilities construction, maintenance, and repair.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, regulations, rules, and standards for employee safety, environmental, and hazardous materials programs; ability to follow safe working practices.
- Skills in the use of the tools and performance of the tasks of the various trades utilized to repair systems.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, schematics, blueprints and technical trade code books pertaining to facilities and equipment serviced.
- Ability and willingness to learn new systems and system upgrades.
- Ability to use a personal computer and software utilized by the department.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with those encountered in the course of work using principles of excellent customer service.
- Ability to exhibit a professional, courteous demeanor.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Will be available to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must possess required standard trade tools (see tool list) prior to the completion of probation.
- Regular exposure to outside weather conditions, loud noises, and hazardous materials.
- LYNX provides the community with much needed public transportation, and it is important for the Agency to resume its services as quickly and as safely as possible in the event of any natural, technological, or human-caused emergency or disaster. This position is considered a mission critical member of LYNX’s emergency preparation and response efforts during an emergency or disaster and as such, requires 24-hour availability in the event of an emergency or disaster.
$19.71 per hour per collective bargaining agreement
LYNX fully commits itself to providing equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, or disability.