Position: * Community Outreach Coordinator*
Status: Non-Exempt Full-time
Reports to: Community Outreach Manager & Social Worker
Founded 25 years ago, the Korean-American Family Service Center, Inc. (KAFSC) is a leading not-for-profit organization assisting women, children, and families in the New York tri-state area to recognize and eliminate relationship violence and abuse. Our counseling, education, advocacy and support services help individuals empower themselves to build safe and healthy relationships based on mutual respect and dignity. Each year, over 2,500 individuals benefit from one or more services that we provide. All our services are culturally sensitive, linguistically appropriate, and free. KAFSC has 52 (17 full-time, 35 part-time) staff, 17 board of directors, 14 associate board members, and over 200 active volunteers.
KAFSC seeks a full-time Community Outreach Coordinator that coordinates and organizes community outreach and education activities and implementing prevention strategies.
Community Outreach & Advocacy
- Organize and coordinate Annual Silent March Against Domestic Violence & other events/outreach activities in October and throughout the year
- Attend coalition meetings, advocacy rallies/marches and other types of community events to represent KAFSC
- Maintain and strengthen working relationships with local elected officials, law enforcement and partnering community-based organizations, including faith leaders
- Leverage available community resources and create more community outreach/advocacy opportunities
- Assist coordinating and conducting workshops and help developing education programs targeting the underserved Asian/Korean community
- Media Relations:
- Work with Community Outreach Manager & Social Worker to expand media outreach efforts
- Draft press releases & media advisories and coordinate monthly articles in the newspapers
- Produce agency brochures, banners, and other promotional items
- Provide assistance to organize/coordinate the Hotline Volunteer Training twice a year and plan/implement continuing education sessions for on-going hotline volunteers
- Work with Community Outreach Manager & Social Worker to engage Harmony volunteers, providing varied community outreach/advocacy opportunities
- Manage Volunteer Committee (VC) members:
- Work closely with the VC Chair
- Coordinate activities to keep VC members engaged
- Manage VC members volunteering at agency-wide events, such as Silent March, Gala, etc.
- Recruit volunteers through various avenues including KAFSC website (ongoing updates to volunteer listings and application forms), social media, other volunteer-matching agencies, social events/fairs, media outlets, individual referrals, etc.
- Organize the Annual Volunteer Appreciation Party in December
- Collect and track volunteer hours by utilizing the DonorPerfect system
- Help other staff/teams recruit and manage volunteers
Administration & Fundraising
- Prepare documents and reports for all appropriate, project-related activities
- Participate in the agency-wide fundraising events
- Attend and proactively participate in bi-weekly staff meetings and supervision check-ins, collaborative meetings, annual board/staff retreat, etc.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by supervisors and Executive Director
- Serves as a backup for the 24-hr Hotline
- BA or BS in Social Work, Sociology, Women’s Studies, Public Policy or related field
- MA or MSW preferred but not required
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in Korean and English
- Community organizing skills and experiences
- Strong commitment to the Asian/Korean American Community, immigrant community and KAFSC’s mission
- Experience working with domestic violence victims or family conflicts preferred
- Program development and event coordination experience, a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Send a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please. More information about the agency and jobs, visit our website at www.kafsc.org.
Job Type: Full-time