Full Job Description
The Director of Grants will oversee proposal and management processes, ensuring excellence in proposal and budget development, efficiency and thoroughness in grant preparation, compliance with regulatory standards, and a strong tracking and reporting system.
ASN is a rapidly growing organization. The successful candidate will develop and launch a robust portfolio of federal, private grants and contracts, as well as subcontracts, including the application and post-award structure that will help advance major initiatives and help build key alliances.
This position is a fit for an entrepreneurial leader with knowledge of the medical and scientific funding landscape, a proven ability to build strong, strategic relationships with funding organizations, and an interest in creating a successful and strategically focused grants and contracts program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Design and carry out ASN’s grant-seeking strategy in alignment with the strategic plan and priorities set by the Executive Vice President and ASN Council.
· Provide vision and a strategic approach that advances grant and contract development efforts in key strategic areas.
· Create and launch a robust portfolio infrastructure that will build excellence and reflect efficiency at all levels.
Research and Analysis
· Identify potential federal, private grant, and contract funding prospects.
· Research and analyze funding capacity and project match of these prospects.
· Work with internal staff and volunteer leaders to carefully evaluate likelihood of funding, feasibility of applying, and capability of supporting programs if funded.
· Actively engage in establishing and maintaining long-term relationships with potential funders, prioritizing those relationships based on ASN’s goals and internal strengths and capabilities.
· Serve as a liaison to funding organizations on behalf of ASN, which will require maintaining a comprehensive knowledge of current issues affecting nephrology.
· Meet regularly with senior leadership of ASN department to understand major priorities and goals.
· Oversee submission, administration and post-award activities for all funding, and supervise staff.
· Ensure compliance with all post-award requirements and oversee implementation of appropriate fund management and tracking software.
· Provide timely and accurate information on funding opportunities, including assessing feasibility of all opportunities.
· Establish a supportable resource center that will help ASN members identify potential funders, write proposals, and secure grants from external sources.
· Oversee adherence to budgets, policies, and internal and external regulations.
· Ensure invoices, including subcontracts, are within the budgeted award and scope of work.
· Administer financial analysis and management, and reconciliation; monitor funds at risk of over- or underspending.
· Work independently to develop annual budgets for each funding source within the portfolio.
· Review and approve all financial documents requiring fiscal approval by leadership.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
· Comprehensive knowledge of federal regulations – preference for Certified Research Administrator (CRA) or Certified Financial Research Administrator (CFRA).
· Federal and non-federal grant writing experience required, and proven success managing the post-award process, encompassing regulatory, financial and reporting oversight.
· Ability to assimilate and analyze complex data, exercise sound judgement and discretion, and understand comprehensive financial systems.
· Strong excel and analytical skills and attention to detail.
· Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
· Experience with scientific and medical funding preferable.
· Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
ASN offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive fringe benefits package.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Please note the society can only accept online applications for this position.
Job Type: Full-time