Our computational challenges are so big and unique we can't just buy our hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Our Platforms Team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Mechanical Engineer you design and evaluate our data center systems, identifying product requirements and contributing to research and project planning. From the chip to chiller, you are responsible for designing and optimizing an architecture that will scale with Google's continued growth.
With your technical expertise, you lead and manage projects, develop product and process improvements, provide consultation to others and help facilitate training and development.
As a member of a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team, you will use your creativity and diverse range of engineering experience to explore solutions to a variety of engineering problems. As a mechanical engineer, you participate in the design, analysis and prototyping of new concepts. You work in a manufacturing and product oriented development environment and collaborate with vendors and outside sources in order to see parts through to manufacture.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Design the architectural layout and detailed plastic and metal components of a consumer electronics product.
- Work with Electrical Engineering, ID and Marketing team members to conceptualize, define, design, build and test new products.
- Make detailed 3D CAD models, search out materials, components and systems for the product.
- Build and troubleshoot prototypes, analyze results of reliability testing, iteratively improve the design and bring to production.
- Work with manufacturing partners in Asia and the U.S., traveling to manufacturing sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with manufacturing and manufacturing processes (e.g., injection molding, compression molding, sheet metal, MIM, soft goods and CNC machining).
- Experience in Unigraphics NX or any design related software.
- Experience with Mechanical Engineering fundamentals.
- 3 years of work experience.
- 2 years of experience in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field (e.g., Product Design).
- Experience in electromechanical assemblies (e.g., LCD’s, batteries, sensors, flexes, PCB’s, antennas, buttons).
- Experience working directly with machine shop tools.
- Knowledge about structural FEA.
- Ability to travel internationally.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies:
Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.