Full Job Description
Brief description/primary purpose of the position:
- Draft or aid in drafting or examining legislative bills and resolutions, and amendments thereto upon the request of Members, committees or staff personnel of either house of the Legislature.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, the statutory responsibilities set out in section 25 of the Legislative Law.
- Advise as to the constitutionality, consistency or effect of proposed legislation upon request of a Member, committee or staff personnel of either house of the Legislature.
- Conduct research and examination as to any subject of proposed legislation upon request of either house of the Legislature.
- Assist chief counsel, senior attorneys and associate counsels with research and drafting.
- Work on program bills, departmental bills, and article VII work drafted by the executive or legislative branch under the direction of associate/senior counsels.
- Perform such other duties as are necessary to the proper operation of the legal services unit.
- Contact with Members’ offices and staff, committee and central staff personnel and counsels to the Executive.
- Complete work assignments under the guidance of senior counsels, associate counsels or counsels to the commission.
- Assistant counsel I may have assigned members based on the experience and ability of the Assistant Counsel. Assistant Counsels II and III have assigned members. Member assignments are based on the individual’s grasp of the position.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word.
- Use the Legislative Retrieval Service in order to conduct research and as an aid in the drafting of legislation.
- Draft basic legislation as requested by members and legislative staff.
- Perform assignments in a reasonable period of time.
Minimum education/qualifying experience:
Must be a law school graduate and admitted to the practice of law within the State of New York.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- Active member of the New York State Bar (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement