As the Senior Manager for the Special Programs (SP) Small Satellite (SmallSat) team, you will lead a high energy, cross discipline engineering team to execute the activities required to design, deliver and certify LM400 through LM50 class SmallSats for flight. The SP organization has been accelerating development of SmallSat platforms, payloads and ground to meet the time critical mission needs of our customers. You will be responsible for ensuring a portfolio of SmallSat programs meets requirements, while driving quicker system delivery times (24-36 months) using adjusted mission risk postures for Class B, C and D systems. You will work for the Advanced Programs Intelligence Systems (APIS) Director and collaborate on technical strategy to develop technical/cost proposals, drive affordability, lead system development and verification/validation. You will steward a portfolio of existing study programs (Polare, Folsom), Quick Reaction Capability (QRC) IR&D Flight Demos (Pony Express 1,2) and near-term captures. You will also partner with the Major Functional Organizations (MFOs), other Lines of Business (LOBs) and other Lockheed Martin Business Areas (Aero) on joint strategies use the full strength of the enterprise to win and execute SmallSat missions.
Your roles and responsibilities will include:
- Serving as a technical senior manager to drive common technical approaches and baselines across APIS that realize our strategy
- Performing personnel management activities including roughly doubling the current team size to execute SP and Enterprise SmallSat design and development scope
- Leading program preparation and execution of Systems Design reviews (SRR, PDR, etc); mentoring earlier career engineering leaders and SMEs
- Facilitating the use of common products and reuse across the LM Space SmallSat programs
- Handling budgets, financial and schedule performance
- Supporting program planning including: developing Customer Statements of Work (SOWs), developing systems engineering plans and schedules, reviewing approved program plans and subcontract SOWs, and ensuring the integrated master schedule properly integrates IPT schedules to support system level events, such as design reviews and verification events
- Ensuring that Specialty Engineering plans, processes, and requirements are addressed within the program (e.g., PMP, EMI/EMC, Reliability, contamination, etc.)
- Establishing requirements, obtaining customer validation, and flowing requirements down to systems, subsystems, hardware, software, and procedures
- Ensuring technical baseline control, including chairing a portfolio Engineering Review Board (ERB) when appropriate
- Establishing and leading an APIS Portfolio Risk and Opportunity Management Program (ROMP)
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills, talents and experiences to design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to envision the impossible, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus—if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that inspires differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Medical / Dental / Vision
- Paid time off
- Work/life balance
- Career development and mentorship opportunities
- Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s comprehensive benefits package.
- BS in engineering with at least 15 years overall technical experience.
- 3+ years of experience performing systems engineering functions
- 3+ years' experience working in satellite development technical domain
- Demonstrated leadership skills and behaviors that align with the Full Spectrum Leadership Imperatives
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- Senior Manager or System Design role on other programs
- Experience as a coded leader/manager
- SmallSat mission experience
- Experience with the full range of Senior Manager duties identified in the job description
- Captures, Proposals and RFI/RFP responses
- Experience implementing LMS system engineering processes and command media
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills with peers, management, subordinates, and customers
- Commitment to high ethical standards and conduct
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.