Direct and coordinate development and implementation of annual budgets and multi-year plans of the Operations division for transportation service, and for maintenance, capital replacement and improvement of fleets and facilities, fulfilling TriMet's Strategic Direction, Business Plan, Financial Plan and forecast, and in support to the Chief Operating Officer, and division/agency department heads. The director also will be responsible for overall operations performance reporting and provide leadership and support for Six Sigma and other related operations performance improvement approaches. Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Assure integration of plans among Operations division departments including Service Planning, Transportation Services (Scheduling), and Transportation and Maintenance departments, and with agency departments including Strategic Planning, Project Planning, Financial Planning, Safety, Security and Training and Information Technology.
2. Serve as the Operations division's Budget Coordinator to the Finance and Administration division, including development and administration of the Operations division's annual operating and capital budgets. Coordinate incorporation of Operations division elements in annual updates of TriMet's 5-year Capital Improvement Plan and 5-year Information Technology Plan.
3. Direct Operations division involvement in development, implementation, and operations start-up for TriMet rail, bus and paratransit, Commuter Rail, and other major capital expansion projects. Develop and administer intergovernmental agreements and contracts for the Operations division's responsibilities related to Portland Streetcar, Portland Transit Mall, Steel Bridge and Commuter Rail.
4. Responsible to lead and manage the development of Operations division performance objectives and quality standards, and responses to compliance reviews by FTA, oversight agencies, and TriMet Internal Audit.
5. Manage existing and future external government and business relationships and negotiate agreements with them.
6. Perform special projects or assignments, and additional duties, as directed by the Chief Operating Officer or General Manager.
Bachelor's degree in Planning, Business Administration, Transportation Management, Engineering, Public Administration or a related discipline. A graduate degree is preferred.
Ten years progressively responsible experience in management of urban mass transit operations or related large operating and capital project intensive organizations. Mass transit experience should include experience in the following functional areas: bus and rail transit operations, operations planning, budgeting and management of operating expenses, and capital replacement and construction programs.
As this role involves managing and negotiation of existing and future external government and business relationships, proven negotiation skills are a prerequisite.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
1. Demonstrated expertise in and knowledge of urban mass transit general management practices, including bus and rail transit operations, operations planning, budgeting and management of operating expenses, and capital replacement and construction programs for transit operations.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of principles and practices associated with development of multi-year programs and projects to accomplish managerial objectives, and with performance management practices in large organizations to accomplish "management to plan."
3. Ability to facilitate meetings, speak to individuals or groups, and present information in a clear and logical manner.
4. Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with employees, all levels of management, consultants, and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
5. Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and analytical skills to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex management and project-related issues in a proactive manner, including implementing process improvement techniques and strategies. Able to develop business cases with critical attention to details.
6. A demonstrated ability oversee a professional staff and contractors as needed to help introduce and apply Six Sigma approaches into the organization. This also will entail developing specific plans to identify proactive business case opportunities and assign staff to design and implement chosen business improvement opportunities within the operating businesses.
7. Ability to operate a personal computer and supporting software applications.
8. Ability to engage and motivate others to create a climate of open, interactive communication.
9. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in written form.
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 20, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Selection Process – Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review/ Please Include: Cover Letter and Resume
2. Panel Interviews
4. Reference Check
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.