Founded in 1856, Harris Beach and its subsidiaries provide a full range of legal and professional services for clients across New York state, as well as nationally and internationally. Harris Beach is among the country’s top law firms as ranked by The National Law Journal. Clients include Fortune 100 corporations, privately-held companies, emerging businesses, public sector entities, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Principal industries Harris Beach represents include education, energy, financial, food and beverage, health care, insurance, manufacturing, medical and life sciences, real estate developers, and state and local governments and authorities. The firm’s more than 200 lawyers practice among offices throughout New York state in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, Melville, New York City, Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Uniondale and White Plains, as well as in New Haven, Connecticut and Newark, New Jersey.
Performs paralegal responsibilities for various attorneys in the public finance practice and similar transaction-based practices.
- Manage documents associated with bond transactions involving firm clients
- Assist with document review and production
- File maintenance requiring substantial familiarity with digital filing and retrieval
- Organize and maintain bond documents
- Prepare IDA bond/straight lease closing documents and transcripts
- Prepare resolutions for straight lease, IDA bond, corporate and real estate transactions.
- Prepare UCC-1 and UCC-3 financing statements
- Track documentation and procedural developments in numerous separate actions
- Periodically purges and organizes files
- Communicate daily with client, local client if applicable, borrower’s/opposing counsel, and local, state and federal offices
- Prepare and publish legal notices
- Maintain and update SharePoint sites for client access
- Online legal research
- Travel to, attend and expedite closings
- Handle real estate transactions and title review, including ordering titles and updated surveys, etc.
- Assist with foreclosure motions/pleadings, including the e-filing and service of motions/pleadings
- Enhances own professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in-service meetings and workshops, and reading of current literature
- Understands and complies with all applicable Firm policies, procedures, and philosophies
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
- Minimum 3 years’ legal experience in public finance practice areas required
- High school diploma or equivalent; paralegal certificate preferred
- Experience with MS Office and expertise with computer assisted legal resources required
- Demonstrates good organizational skills for prioritizing workload
- Demonstrates ability to acquire understanding quickly and absorb new information rapidly
- Must be able to manage competing priorities
- Maintains high standards of performance
- Exhibits conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, and a sense of responsibility
- Must have a professional, cooperative, positive and flexible attitude
- Ability to work with diverse personalities within various levels of the organization
- Exhibits strong oral and written communications skills
- Thorough command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style
- Ability to compose professional correspondence
The firm’s policy prohibiting unlawful discrimination applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, placement, assignment of duties, training, promotion, compensation & benefits and termination. It is the policy of Harris Beach PLLC that all applicants and employees enjoy a positive, respectful and productive work environment, free from behavior, actions or language constituting unlawful harassment. Accordingly, harassment or discrimination of any kind based on an individual’s race or color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, genetic predisposition, carrier status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, creed, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status is strictly prohibited. Harris Beach complies with the provisions of the Human Rights Law, all other State and Federal statutory and constitutional non-discrimination provisions including non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.