Hospicare & Palliative Care Services, located in the culturally diverse and scenic Finger Lakes region of New York State, seeks a dynamic, passionate and creative Medical Director to serve our highly regarded agency.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a current New York State license to practice medicine, or obtain one by date of hire
- Have a degree from an accredited school of medicine
- Board certification in hospice and palliative care (and/or completion of fellowship in hospice or palliative medicine) (preferred) Applicants with hospice or palliative care experience will also be considered.
- Possess leadership experience in a hospice and palliative care setting
- Nurture and significantly grow an already well-established hospice program, and lead the organization’s effort to build a robust palliative care program
- Show exceptional commitment, focus, and resilience
Assume overall responsibility for the day-to-day
medical aspects of the patient care program:
- Provide all medical director services required by applicable laws and regulations
- Review all admissions and discharges to determine appropriateness. Conduct face-to-face visits as needed or required.
- Provide direct medical care to patients who do not have an attending physician, as necessary.
- Assume responsibility for developing, coordinating and supervising Hospicare’s hospice and palliative care programs
Provide information and education about hospice and palliative care for Hospicare staff, health care
professionals and other people in the local community:
- Assist in the planning and implementation of hospice education programs for Hospicare staff, community physicians and other health care professionals.
- Provide consults to other physicians and professionals on hospice care, particularly on pain control and symptom management
- Be a skillful advocate and negotiator when working with our health care partners and community organizations
- Build strong relationships with medical professionals, including physicians, hospitalists and other providers
- Provide peer-to-peer consultation, face-to-face assessments, and communication with referral sources
Demonstrate strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills:
- Have an accessible and open management style that supports clinical staff, provides a clear and consistent sense of direction and accountability, and reinforces teamwork
- Approach sensitive or rapidly emerging issues with a calm, confident, and collaborative leadership style
The Medical Director reports to the Executive Director and supervises a Nurse Practitioner.
Job Type: Full-time