Discover Home Equity Loans, a line of business within Discover Bank, provides first and second lien mortgages secured by a customer’s primary residence. The business is growing and seeking to add a Department Manager to lead multiple Operations Teams.
The Department Manager will be responsible for sales and operational support in Discover’s Home Equity Department. The Department Manager reports to the Director of Operations and will manage multiple teams in a call center environment.
- Develops and maintains strategies to achieve business performance goals, achieve world class customer experience, and increase profitability. Responsible for annual business planning, budget planning and continuity for the Department, and assisting with strategic planning.
- Also responsible for attracting, developing, and retaining the best workforce in the industry. Manages business operations and achieves results. Achieves business results through strategic planning, establishing and monitoring performance metrics, managing profits and losses, controlling expenses and managing costs.
- Leverages understanding of internal business operations and best practices in order to manage department successfully and meet broader business performance goals. Supports overall talent management. Directs and oversees coaching and development within the department.
- Participates in and/or provides input to, Department/Center talent management initiatives. Drives and supports strategic initiatives. Develops long-range strategic plans and objectives to impact business results, and executes strategic plan.
- Manages personnel actions and activities. Performs administrative duties.
- Manages professional employees and/or supervisors. Builds a strong team. Develops others to their full potential. Empowers and motivates others. Recognizes when there are obstacles preventing others from achieving their goals and readily intervenes and finds resourceful ways to remove them.
- Leverages external relationships and insight. Lean, Six Sigma and/or demonstrated process improvement expertise a plus. Receives guidance from senior managers and directors on departmental issues. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment.
- Resolves issues and contributes to business unit/area development. Broad knowledge of the field with strong leadership skills. Gathers information, consults those who need to be involved, and puts decisions into action.
- Coaches employees in decision making by thinking through scenarios and decision criteria before taking appropriate action.
- Communicates decisions to stakeholders within ones team in a timely manner. Develops solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. Ensures solutions are consistent with organizations objectives.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
* Relocation package is available for candidates seeking relocation .
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 or more years of experience with an understanding of multiple channels for mortgage. An understanding of retail, wholesale, and how to direct to consumer operations.
- Tenured leadership experience.
- Lead Project Manager for field operations business unit projects.
- Expand redundant operations.
- Previous Manager of a Call Center Operations preferred.
- Outsource management experience.
- Oversees the vendor management on Witpro.
- Experience with running operations on a national scale.
- Experience with sales and back office operations.
- Interaction at the Board Level or Comparable experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent influencing skills and the ability to budget responsibility.
- This position can be based out of Phoenix, AZ or the Lake Park, UT office and will have potential to travel to either site.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.