The primary role of the Senior National Account Manager is to own and drive the Home Depot business for long-term profitable growth, and to achieve budgeted sales and profits. The Sr. NAM will be responsible for understanding the account and building the business through fact-based knowledge by positioning our products, programs and promotions to help them maximize their sales. The Sr. NAM will lead the relationship effort, and will foster contacts and relationship within functional areas of our company and the customers.
* Develop a vision and account strategy for long-term profitable growth, consistent with the long range plans and strategy of the business. Use SWF process to execute strategies. Keep the designer/retail account strategies and account profiles updated.
* Manage and Develop Team Member(s)
- Conduct Weekly 1:1 Meetings to manage expectations
- Keep up to date Team KPI Tracker and hold team accountable for results
- Develop the team to continuously improve productivity and results
- Track/Monitor results against Sales goals and LY on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis
* Accountable for achieving budgeted sales of assigned accounts.
- Responsible for the timely development of the account detailed sales budget. Monitoring, measuring progress against the budget and altering plans, strategies, etc. to ensure achievement of the sales budget.
* Accountable for achieving budget profit objectives of the accounts.
- Assessing competitive price position, assuring we are competitively priced to maximize sales and profitability within account and accounts competitors and consistent with brand positioning.
- Identify, evaluate, plan and champion ongoing cost reduction initiatives; this may include but is not limited to product costs, POP displays, set-up expense, field sales expense, travel, machine costs, etc.
- Manage account program costs, (i.e., advertising, rebates, buyback and slotting allowance, etc.) to a minimum while maximizing sales.
- Responsible for minimizing returns and allowances of the account. These activities may include but are not limited to: training so orders are received properly, eliminating pricing errors, and/or discrepancies in the accounts system, or SWF system.
- Manage other account specific costs, including: negotiate freight terms to benefit SWF, manage investments in displays, sampling, P.O.P. so they are appropriate to minimize expense and maximize sales, slow payments and obsolete merchandise, etc.
- Responsible for timelines of price increase implementation.
- Maximize return on travel expenses – complete field reports after every sales call
- Negotiate contracts and resolve audit issues in the best interests of SWF
* Must have a complete and extensive knowledge of:
- Account’s share by product type, product line and brand
- Assess share shifts by competitors, by product type within the account (and maintain database on this information)
- Current assortments in detail, pricing and competitive pricing
- Develop or use account’s tools for evaluating productivity of the account’s business, (i.e., SKU unit volume, profitability, sales per sq. ft., sales by linear foot, GMROI, inventory turns.)
- Business case process, pro formas and post mortems for programs, promotions, etc. to estimate, execute and measure success
- Competitive analysis, market analysis of trends, product, etc.
* Responsible for the timely PSI forecasts of the account in as much detail as possible, by product line and marketing family. Account sales forecast is the responsibility of the account manager to provide the information to the appropriate functional areas to make certain SWF is using the most accurate information in the Production, Sales, and Inventory system. This must be timely.
* Evaluate needs and demands of the customer and, where necessary, develop a business case for feasibility using the appropriate processes.
- The Sr. NAM is responsible for developing the sales presentation (content, format, etc.)
- The Sr. NAM will recommend what is sold (i.e., assortments, competitive price position, brand, etc.) based on their fact based extensive knowledge of the customer. This recommendation will be reviewed by the Product Management team for edification, additions, deletions, and financial assessment. Once approved, NAM will complete presentation.
- The account coordinators, not the product management group, should maintain plan-o-grams. Plan-o-grams should be catalogued by the account organization and modifications should be recorded.
* Provide detailed account plans, direction, and information for field sales support
* Communicate assortment changes and product obsolescence to account, SWF Product Managers and PIC in a timely manner.
* Present new business opportunities to PST. Act as team leader for account projects. Be an active team member.
* Lead and develop relationships within accounts and cross-functionally at SWF (i.e., traffic, systems, credit, customer service etc.)
* Continuously gather intelligence, log and share on product performance, customers, competitors, consumers’ attitudes, new opportunities, pricing, promotions, products, etc.
* Participate and lead cross-functional teams to accomplish sales and profit objectives.
* Provide leadership and guidance to account teams. Act as mentor leader for all associates in the department.
- Lead to achieve the “Best Experience” for your accounts, consumers, store associates, and fellow associates.
Education and Experience
* A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in marketing or business
* 8+ years of professional sales experience is required
* Experience should involve selling consumer products to national accounts, preferably experience with Home Depot
* Experience with a custom product is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Human Relations: Should be outgoing and pleasant, aggressive and persistent, yet tactful. Should be a good listener and able to convey concern, interest and thoughtfulness. Must be proactive and responsive
* Analytical: Should be a fact-based decision maker and have a good analytical, problem-solving approach with ability to analyze customers’ individual needs. Strong understanding of financials
* Conceptual: Must be imaginative and able to tailor-make programs to serve customer’s needs. Should be ingenious in developing ideas to make doing business with SWF convenient and preferable over competition
* Selling Skills: Must have strengths in solution-based selling, utilizing data (POS, Consumer Insights, Industry share data, etc) to help gain sales and share with account. Must demonstrate past sales successes, and share examples of these best practices and how they can apply to the window coverings industry