Strategy is a rapidly growing Chicago-based business, thought leadership, and market intelligence magazine with a global distribution in print and digital format. The focus of the publication is business and economic trends, analysis and market intelligence. The mission is to deliver in-depth analysis on the ideas and issues that are changing today's world.
The qualified candidate must have excellent writing and editing skills as well as computer literacy. The editor will be responsible for overseeing the content and quality of the magazine publication and ensuring that features are topical, well researched, interesting and informative. The position will work directly with the Editor-in-Chief and supervise the other editors and writers.
- Assign articles and give deadlines, and word counts.
- Generating ideas for articles and features
- Discuss each article with the publisher and help develop the length and focus of the article.
- Develop an editorial guide for each article. This includes the following: 1. Research topics to discover salient points to guide writers. 2. Pick out highlights of transcripts and other source materials. 3. Develop a broad outline for the writers to follow.
- Assign each article to the writers through the editorial sheet. Discuss which topics to highlight (and avoid, as needed) from the source material.
- Edit each article as it is written. This includes the following: Compare the article to the editorial sheet and make sure that it a) includes all salient points and b) avoids all off-limit material. Ensure that the article follows the house style guide. Make comments and suggestions for rewrites.
- Send the article back for the second draft (as needed), with detailed instructions to the writers.
- As needed, select graphics for articles. At the very least, encourage and guide writers in selecting graphics.
- Polish each second draft to get it ready for publication. This includes getting word and character counts correct within a 1% limit.
- Guide writers on such matters as writing titles, blurbs, headings, and subheadings. These are notoriously shortcomings of the writers, and they need continuous guidance and assistance in these areas.
- Write blurbs, titles, headings, and subheadings as needed when writers fail to do so.
- Proof the magazine, character for character.
- Recruit and hire writers as needed.
- Ensuring that all feature articles comply with ethical codes of practice and legal guidelines.
- Perform all other editorial and managerial tasks as needed by the publisher.
- Four-year college degree in journalism or related discipline is required.
- Minimum 5 (five) years of working experience in the related field.
- Previous publishing experience is a must and familiarity with editing a business/financial magazine is preferred.
Key skills required:
- Good general and current global affairs knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- IT skills
- Creativity Confidence
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Determination and resilience
Job Type: Temporary
- relevant: 5 years (Required)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
Company's Facebook page: