Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic, proactive, and collaborative Accounting Manager to join our growing Groundwork Coffee team. As a member of the Finance and Accounting team, you will work closely with different departments including Sales, Marketing, Operations, Retail and the executive team. This position is responsible for all accounting operations and financial reporting.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the direct supervision of all accounting and financial functions, which include Treasury administration, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll and monthly reporting for both our Los Angeles and Portland locations. The Accounting Manager will also be responsible for leveraging our ERP system, as well as creating and implementing policies and procedures.
As a Groundworker, you'll wear many hats and be exposed to various facets of the coffee business from sourcing and production to retail and wholesale distribution. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
WHAT IT TAKES TO ROCK THIS ROLE:
- Lead a team of 4 staff members in our CA office.
- Manage cash flow needs in a growing environment.
- Manage the Payroll department to ensure accurate and timely processing and payroll tax compliance; provide payroll reporting to the different department to manage labor costs.
- Manage the Accounts Payable department, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, employee expense reports and compliance.
- Oversee the Accounts Receivable department to ensure accurate invoicing, timely collections of invoices and reimbursement of invalid charge-backs. Responsible for A/R Aging Reporting and Charge-back Reporting to the Executive team.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value.
- Work with the Business Analyst to help with annual budgets.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations and other supporting schedules.
- Book and manage inter-company transactions and reconciliations.
- Improve month-end close process including analytical review of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained.
- Work with auditors to complete the year-end audit; prepare supporting schedules for the annual tax returns.
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Accurate and timely distribution of all financial information.
- Analyze Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flows statements for our four companies.
- Maintain reporting of our Fixed assets by store and track against capital budgets.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance a must.
- 6+ years of experience as an accounting professional a must.
- 2+ years managing a team a must.
- CPA license preferred; experience working with auditors preferred.
- Requires experience with ERP systems, SAP Business One preferred.
- Exceptional analytical skills and strong Excel skills (Pivot Tables, VLookups, etc.).
- Strong accounting knowledge and an understanding of US GAAP.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as superior attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A proactive person who can multi-task, think creatively, and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- A detail-oriented individual who has a high sense of urgency and exceptional organizational skills
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Someone who is flexible, eager, and willing to build from the ground up.
- Ability to constructively manage and grow a staff and to be an excellent team player.
- Organizes and responsible for maintaining documents and records.
- Experience with POS systems (e.g. Revel).
- Experience with Paycom a plus
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you'll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun office environment.
- Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Multiple Health Plan Options: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.