The role of the COVID-19 Testing Communications Specialist will be to assist in recruiting selected households to participate in testing to determine the previously undetected spread of COVID-19 throughout Utah.
Corona viruses are a large family of viruses causing illness in people and other living beings. COVID-19 is a disease caused by a new strain of Corona virus (SARS-CoV-2), and its spread has exploded into a global pandemic.
When a communicable disease outbreak begins, the ideal response is for public health officials to begin testing for it early. Doing so leads to quick identification of cases followed by a similarly rapid response, such immediate isolation to prevent spread. Early testing also helps to identify people who are infected so that actions can be taken to prevent them from spreading the virus to others.
It’s crucial to understand who is infected in order to know what needs to be done to limit the spread of infection and to monitor those infected so that supportive can be administered when needed. Testing also is important in the bigger public health picture on mitigation efforts, helping investigators characterize the prevalence, spread and contagiousness of the disease.
Access to testing in Utah has been challenging due to an insufficient capacity to access and administer diagnostic tests. However, capacity for testing is quickly expanding in Utah, so using this capacity to better understand the extend of infection throughout the state and to detect cases that would otherwise not be diagnosed. The Communications Specialist will serve as an integral part of a field team who will help identify and recruit households to take part in testing in order to generate a more complete picture of SARS-CoV-2 infection dynamics in Utah.
- Participate in the process of identifying a sample of targeted households under the direction of an infectious disease epidemiologic team.
- Introduce households to the project and schedule them for testing.
- Complete prescribed and mandatory training to ensure safety and minimize/eliminate the transmission of disease during while working.
- Meet activity and productivity objectives as assigned by supervisor.
- Complete all reporting as required by employer and the State of Utah.
- High School Diploma
- Must be a current university student
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work required schedules
- Physical stamina to walk up to 4 miles a day
Preferences Special Instructions Summary