Under the direction of the Academic Deans, Academic Specialist is a twelve (12)-month full-time position. Academic Specialists will perform administrative responsibilities and student service responsibilities that focus on student success initiatives and the College’s educational goals and priorities. Academic Specialists will also be permitted to teach academic subjects, evaluate staff including faculty and adjunct faculty, carry out administrative projects and programs, and advise students. Using predictive and learning analytics, Academic Specialists support the primary institutional mission of student success.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Carries out administrative tasks and programs as assigned by Administration.
- Uses data and analytics to interview and evaluate staff, including faculty and adjunct faculty for purposes including, but not limited to, hiring, retention, non-renewals and/or discipline.
- Writes grants and participates in the administration of grant activities.
- Supports students through advising, tutoring and mentoring activities.
- Classroom instruction up to 12 hours per week.
- Supports student learning outside of class by maintaining office hours.
- Designs, prepares and develops instructional materials.
- Delivers instructional approaches that engage students and support student success.
- Participates in all commencement events.
- Represents the College at conferences and seminars, as needed.
- Participates in the College governance process.
- Regular, prompt attendance is an essential job responsibility.
- Provides assistance with hiring adjunct faculty, evaluating faculty and staffing.
- Conducts meetings as necessary for the effective functioning of the program, including any committee meetings.
- Assists with curriculum & assessment projects, division reports, revisions, changes or updates.
Specialized Job Duties
- Provide assistance with hiring and adjunct faculty, evaluating faculty, adjuncts and staffing.
- Assist the Dean with budget activities.
- Assist the Dean to market the program.
- Coordinate a Criminal Justice speaker series college-wide.
- Coordinate all aspects of Criminal Justice work programs, internship, externship programs and any other programs connected to work placements for students in the Criminal Justice programs.
Master’s degree in Criminal Justice required.
Two years of college-level administrative and/or college-level teaching experience preferred. Prior experience in the evaluation of teaching effectiveness and conducting staff observations preferred.
Competencies and Skills Required
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern technology and its use in the classroom.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of a comprehensive community college.
- Commitment to student success.
- Participatory leadership style; demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving.
- Demonstrated commitment to academic excellence.
- Sensitivity to the educational and personal goals of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize diverse teaching methods to accommodate various learning styles.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
- Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel is required.
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all programs and activities, including employment and access to its career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Terms of Employment
Flexible schedule to meet College needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off-campus sites as needed by the College. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies in accordance with N.J.S.A. 52:14-7.