Carnegie Mellon University's department of Facilities Management is searching for a Plumber. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. Core job responsibilities include:
- Lay out and install standard waste, water and compressed air systems working from drawings, sketches, or oral or written instructions.
- Measure, cut, fit, join and install glass, vitreous/plate tile, concrete, all types of metal, polypropylene, and PVC piping.
- Install, repair, and maintain domestic and laboratory plumbing fixtures.
- Repair and maintain all support equipment associated with compressed air, water, gas, and waste systems.
- Requisition job parts and supplies.
- Operate on-and off-road utility vehicles and light trucks in support of assigned work.
- Maintain clean, safe shop area.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You should have strong communication skills, be able to work effectively with other craft employees, and professionally manage interactions with challenging customers. Additionally, you must be able to work independently and make appropriate decisions as to when additional help is needed to correct issues.
This position will require flexibility in working various shifts, overtime and call-out work. You will need to be able to work outside during inclement conditions and with sanitary waste in a safe and effective manner. Must be a member of, or agree to join Local #95 International Union of Operating Engineers bargaining unit. You must pass a pre-employment physical exam and receive clearance to wear a respirator when working near hazards and to meet minimum job requirements. Pre- and post-employment drug and alcohol testing will be required, along with pre-employment driver’s license and background checks prior to receiving an offer of employment.
The successful candidate must obtain all background clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent; graduation from trades certification or apprenticeship program as journeyman plumber
- Valid Pennsylvania driver's license (or equivalent for out-of-state applicants) required; Allegheny County journeyman's plumbing license required
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a journeyman or sub-journeyman level plumber of which at least one (1) year shall have been at the journeyman level
- Significant maintenance experience in a large institutional (college, university, hospital, etc.) setting preferred
- Ability to move and work in confined spaces, up and down ladders and to work from ladders
- Travel to jobs over a 93 acre campus with many hills and stairs
- Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Facilities / Operations / Safety
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: FMS OPERATIONS
Minimum Education Level: High School/GED
Salary: $28.63 / hour