MetroNet has an immediate opening for an energetic; IP Ops Senior Engineer/Telecom Specialist in Evansville, IN!
MetroNet is a leading provider of 100% fiber optic internet, television, and telephone services. We are currently available or under construction in over 80 communities in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio. MetroNet provides fiber-to-the-premise (FTTP) technology to homes and businesses within its footprint, giving our customers access to some of the fastest internet speeds in the world. We pride ourselves on our cutting-edge technology combined with outstanding customer care.
We’re looking for tech-savvy, innovative thinkers to join our team and help us create what’s next!
What is in it for you?
· Competitive total compensation package
· 80% of Medical premiums paid for by company
· Company paid Disability and Life insurance
· 401(k) company match and 100% vested on day 1
· Discounted MetroNet service in our serviceable area
· Flexible schedule
· Locally owned, friendly, fun atmosphere
The primary role of this position, based in Evansville Indiana, will be to provide operational support for a carrier class IP infrastructure deployed throughout a multi-state network. In particular, this position is responsible for configuring/reconfiguring routers and switches as required, provisioning new orders, assisting as required in troubleshooting and resolving problems, and for maintaining all network documentation to reflect the state of our network. The scope of these responsibilities encompasses three levels of equipment, software and configuration deployment: 1) customer based hardware; 2) network based edge devices located at various hub sites; and 3) our core IP infrastructure.
What you will be doing:
· Configure/reconfigure routers and switches as required to provision new orders.
· Releasing Engineering packages for installation of network and customer premise equipment.
· Effectively implement engineering guidelines (QoS, performance, reliability, security, scalability, VOIP, IPTV etc.) by being able to complete installation, testing, and acceptance of router/switch hardware on a solo basis, with minimal supervision.
· Assist in troubleshooting and resolving problems, including being able to provide and interpret the results of packet captures.
· Maintain all network documentation to reflect the state of our network.
· Provide purchase recommendations that are highly cost/value based, that taking into account ongoing technical support requirements and implementation complexity. Accomplishing this goal by developing platform requirements and documentation for bidding and reviewing vendor responses.
· Serve as an interdepartmental IP networking subject matter expert by building strong technical relationships with colleagues and external vendors.
· Identify opportunities to reduce cost.
What You Need For This Position:
· 4-year engineering or computer science or in a related field, but will consider all relevant experience and appropriate certifications in lieu of completed degree.
· Advanced industry certifications such as, NRS-2, CCNP, or equivalent and complimentary related certification, such as MEF-CECP
· 8+ Experience in Telecommunications Industry
· Expert knowledge of PON, Transport, IP/MPLS, xWDM, protection schemes and switching (G.8032, STP, MPLS)
· Expert understanding of networking architectures, standards and protocols including: Layer 0-2 standards, protocols, and equipment - Optical budget, splitters, VLANs, LACP, OAM, etc.
· Expert understanding layer 3-4 standards and protocols - TCP/UDP, MPLS, OSPF, BGP, etc.
· Takes lead on network architecture and service design, and serves as an SME for deployment of new technologies.
· Is able to resolve high level installation and commissioning problems using all available resources - e.g. contractors, customers, vendors.
· Routinely helps the department and company work more effectively through continuous improvement
· Expert in designing services and networks using multiple vendors on complex networks
· Trains and mentors developing engineers.
· Experience with Metasolv or other telecom facility management
· Effectively and proactively communicates project status to engineering support staff, PMs, and outside teams
· Understanding of the strong need for process standardization.
· Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks.
· Strong attention to detail with ability to evaluate and analyze information quickly.
· Ability to communicate technical matters to senior management.
· Ability to operate at both the tactical and strategic levels.
· Dependable, self-motivated and able to take action with minimal direction.
· Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment with minimal supervision (highly self-sufficient)
If you have a strong desire to impact, the success of our organization by ensuring we continue to attract and retain committed professionals, please apply today!
MetroNet is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Type: Full-time